Irish Family History
Among Todays Topics at the Irish Roots Cafe:
1) Family of the Day: Magill
2) Irish Hedge School pick: Irish Language CD
3) Search: Riley, Rea, Sheehan, Ryan, Grealy
4) Curious News: More than Ned Kelly in Australia
5) Web Story: Friday Fish and Penance returns
6) Curious Note: Climbing Croagh Patrick
Notes This Week:
What’s happening today at the Irish Roots Cafe
1) The first five CDs in our Irish Masters Program,
are back and ready to go !
I sent the final CD out last week, and that is the one
on Irish Genealogy and Family history.
The Hedge School CD of the Month:
1) Learning Irish, notes for the curious.
For more about this CD go to:
Time to raise our eyes skywards, and ask for help !
Here are todays “Magnificent Seven” :
1) Robert Weir of Santa Maria, CA, welcome as a new member !
i have been trying to trace my mother’s back to Ireland. her last name
is riley. i’ve gotten to an 1861 canadian census and found my ggr
miles c. & then my ggr micheal & wife ann. according to hand written
notes i got from my mom micheal was born in co. cavan 1823 ann
was born in co. sligo 1826. : i’ve traced my mom’s ggr micheal riley
& spouse ann to 1861 canadian census. micheal was born in co.
cavan 1823 & ann nee gilboy was born in co. sligo 1826 iam stumped
2) Nora Perry of Chantilly, VA, welcome as a full member.
Michael Ryan family from Tipperary and Michael Grealy from
Mayo, Taylor family from Newmarket.
3) Jan Peterson of Tulsa, OK, your Conquest of Ireland set,
passenger lists, and Milesian Families book shipped !
4) Martha Rasmussen of Ames, IA, first to get ‘Missouri Irish
the orginal history’, from our new CD collection. ! Shipped !
5) Bryan Sheehan of Burlingame, CA searching for Sheehan,
welcome as a new member. 3
6) Kevin Rea of Menomonee, Wisconsin, searching for Rea,
Welcome as a new member !
7) Cindy McCormick of Cheyenne, Wyoming, searching for
Bartholomew McCormick, left Ballymitty, May 1845.
Check out our online search list at:
Irish Family Name of the Day:
This weeks family name notes in honor of:
Victoria Barnett of Augusta, Georgia
Related Spellings of the Name
Gill, MacGill, Mack, Magilly, Mekill, Maguil….etc..
Varient Spelling Groups: #1159…
From The Guide to the Various Spellings of Irish Family Names
History of the Name
Aside from the numerous names that start with the ‘prefix’
Mac or Mag…. that can be shortened to Magill, we have other
reference to the name.
The forms of McGill, Gill, MacGill, and Magill, etc.. can of course
all stem from the same source. It is often found in the north
of Ireland, and can come from Scots origins as well. By the time
of the 19th century birth index it is given in Dublin, Galway, Mayo
and Longford, representing several origins, no doubt.
In Pynnars Survey we find one John Magill of County Down, given
along with his wife. Capt. james Magill is given in the Families of
County Kerry as a landowner.
Irish Family Coats of Arms From the Irish Book of Arms
A Brief search in that work shows:
1) Magill is given along with MacGill in the Irish Book of Arms.
Magill of Gill Hall, Down, is also shown.
The Free Master online index at www.Irishroots.com shows:
Listings for the name multiple times, here are a few examples:
1) Mac and McGill in ‘Mac, Mc and O names’ .
2) 'S. McGill' in The Fall of Irish Chiefs and Clans
3) 'Gill' in Missouri Irish.
4) 'Magill' in the Families of Co. Dublin, Ireland.
5) 'Arthur Magill' in King James Irish Army List.
6) 'Capt. James Magill' in Families of Co. Kerry, Ireland.
7) 'John Magill' in ‘Pynnars Survey’.
You can use this free index to search for your family name:
Remember to leave off the Mac or O when typing your name.
Around the World, in Irish Ways.
The Web Page and Video of the Month.
1) Magill Family Genealogy Forum
2) Lone Piper and Drummer start this video off
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: