"I don't feel too good about it," Sunderland told the Sunday Independent. "I feel really sad and very sorry for the 25-30 players that are putting in a serious effort for me and for Kildare.
"But there have been cracks in the whole link with the county board for the past few months and they have widened to an extent that I feel I'm just not in control of the team anymore.”
[Source: Irish Independent]
Four Kilkenny students were awarded an All-Ireland Scholarship toward their third level education last month.
The awards ceremony took place at University of Limerick where former U.S. President Bill Clinton and sponsor J.P. McManus presented the awards. A total of 125 students from both the north and south of Ireland were presented with a third level scholarship certificate.
This is the fifth year for the scholarships. Sponsored by J.P. McManus, the scheme is set to provide financial assistance to many high achieving students who completed their Leaving Certificate or A Levels in 2012.
The winning students were Luke Kelly, Castlecomer Community School; Kyryll Chulak, C.B.S. Kilkenny; Rebecca Lucey, Presentation Secondary School; Miodrag Ignjatovic, St. Kieran’s College.
[Source: Kilkenny People]
The Abbey Court estate in Portlaoise will soon be completed, with the county council giving a commitment to have all works finished off early in 2013.
In a letter received by Portlaoise Town Council from Carmel McNicholl of the planning and economic development department, it was confirmed that works were due to commence in the estate on December 3. The works are being carried out by a contractor appointed by the bond company, but will be supervised by Laois County Council technical staff. It is expected that the works will take approximately six weeks.
“I’m pleased at long last,” said Clr. Jerry Lodge. “These things are dragged out by all parties involved.”
[Source: Leinster Express]
As the number of unemployed in the county continues to rise, it is interesting to note that the majority of those employed and residing in the county have to travel outside of Leitrim for work.
The Central Statistics Office two weeks ago released the final publication in its series of Census 2011 profile reports, it showed that only 2,886 persons resident in County Leitrim also worked in the county, while 6,532 commuted to work outside the county.
Meanwhile 5,156 people residing outside the county commuted to work in Leitrim, resulting in a net loss in the working population of 1,376.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]
The model who shot to fame in the Rubberbandits’ “Horse Outside” video has revealed that she was “punched in the face” by a man after she rejected him in Limerick city on St. Stephen’s night.
Madeline Mulqueen took to her Twitter account in the early hours of Thursday morning to report the incident.
The Kildimo native who is now based in Dublin tweeted “That’s Limerick City when u reject a boy and then he punches you in the face. Hahaha can’t wait to get back to Dublin!!!”
In reply to tweets from concerned followers, Madeline said: “I’m ok, I hit him harder than he hit me #girlpower.”
[Source: Limerick Leader]
She may be a native of Kilcullen in County Kildare but after over 30 years of service to both Longford and Mostrim G.A.A., Philomena (Phil) Donoghue is dyed in the wool blue and gold.
A volunteer at both Glennon Brothers Pearse Park and Devine Park, Phil’s years of service were honoured recently with her induction into the Longford G.A.A. Hall of Fame at the Team of the Championship Awards night which took place in the Rustic Inn in Abbeyshrule at the beginning of this month.
Married to Abbeylara man and former Longford county player Philip Donoghue, Phil became involved with the Mostrim Minors through clubman Seamus Smith in the early 1980s.
From bringing schoolboy teams the length and breadth of the county to washing kits, the mother of eight has seen and done it all.
[Source: Longford Leader]
A man appeared before Dundalk district court two weeks ago charged in connection with an alleged stabbing incident in the town earlier this year in which a man was seriously injured.
Sean Duffy (31) with an address at Aisling Park, Dundalk is accused of assaulting two men causing them harm at Mullharlin Park, Dundalk on the March 11.
The court heard Thursday, December 20, that the defendant made no reply when the charges were put to him that morning.
[Source: Dundalk Democrat]
A 27-year-old Westport man who sent up to 500 texts of a threatening, abusive and sexually explicit nature to a 14-year-old boy says he cannot explain his actions.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: