Deputy McHugh, who has consistently campaigned for the retention of Malin Head station, said, “Minister Leo Varadkar’s confirmation [last Thursday] that he will recommend the retention of Malin Head and Valentia Island in the national Coast Guard stations network is a victory for common sense.
“The retention of Malin Head and Valentia Island Coast Guard stations will preserve the long-standing relationships between fishermen and the Malin Head and Valentia Island stations, which are a vitally important element in delivering the high-quality Coast Guard services on which Irish fishermen and the Irish marine industry rely.”
[Source: Donegal Democrat]
Newry and Mourne District Council, and the Department for Social Development (D.S.D.) have announced the commencement of a Public Consultation Process in regards to the proposed Newry City Linkages Public Realm Scheme.
The scheme is aiming to start on-site in April/May 2013 and run until early 2014. The works will be concentrated on the canal-side of Buttercrane Quay and Merchants Quay, between Dublin and Sugar Island Bridges.
The works will comprise the replacement of the existing canal boundary wall with a new decorative maritime railing and the removal of car parking spaces to facilitate the provision of a new wider granite paved/curbed pathway. New decorative street lighting, street furniture, tree planting and public art is also proposed as part of the scheme.
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]
A Chinese woman has been accused of sexually assaulting two schoolgirls at a screening of a horror movie at a Dublin cinema. Yan Ching (42) is alleged to have groped the girls' legs while telling them they were beautiful and touching herself, before photographing them against their wishes.
She is accused of carrying out the assault after calling the girls over to ask if she was sitting in the right seat.
The 12-year-olds were trying to leave when the accused allegedly pulled one back by the ponytail.
[Source: Evening Herald]
Lisnaskea-based entrepreneur Maurice Kettyle, winner of the Fermanagh Herald Business of the Year award is, literally, bringing home the bacon.
Two weeks ago, his firm, Kettyle Irish Foods, won a $1.9 million contract to supply Fermanagh bacon, which has been dry-cured using seaweed, to one of Holland’s biggest supermarkets, Albert Heijn.
In a week when a survey of 1,000 businesses north and south revealed that 65 percent did not export their produce, Kettyle Irish Foods is bucking the trend big time, in that it supplies cured meat to up to a dozen countries, including Dubai and Singapore.
[Source: Fermanagh Herald]
A large dragon tattoo covering the back of a bald biker’s head led to his arrest for being involved in a punishment-style beating that left another biker with a broken arm, leg and ankle.
Tattooist Jeremy Berger (28), a native of Balbriggan in Dublin, who was living at the time at 183 Baile an Choiste, Castlegar, Galway, pleaded guilty at Galway Circuit Criminal Court last Wednesday to assaulting Paul McGuire, causing him harm at Bike Tech, Unit 1, Block 13, Ballybane Industrial Estate, Galway, on February 8, 2011.
Garda (Police Officer) Pat Foley gave evidence on November 28 that Berger was trying to join the Galway Chapter of the Outlaw Bikers Club at the time, and had been pressured by a member to get involved in the beating.
[Source: Galway Bay FM]
Canon William Crean, parish priest of Cahirciveen in County Kerry and newly appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Cloyne, has admitted a level of apprehension about the appointment.
Speaking on November 23 at St. Colman’s Cathedral in Cobh, the bishop-elect said he was committing himself to do all he could with others in the diocese to bring healing and hope to the lives of all victims of abuse and their families.
“Because I am deeply conscious of the trauma of these years past – so much suffering endured by young people at the hands of a few – sufferings compounded by the failure of those who didn’t believe them and those who didn’t hear their cry for help,” he said.
[Source: Irish Times]
Thousands of County Kildare residents could be left literally in the dark this winter because of a county council decision to terminate public lighting services in their estates. The areas in question are classified as unfinished estates, not yet taken in charge by the council, and the council has confirmed that it will no longer pay for electricity supply to these areas.
The matter was raised last week by Naas area Fianna Fáil activist James Lawless, who submitted a request under the Freedom of Information Act after receiving complaints from residents that there was no basic street lighting maintenance in a number of areas.
[Source: Kildare Nationalist]
It will take “quite a while” to provide flood relief works in Graignamanagh and Thomastown, a senior Kilkenny County Council official has predicted.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: