The Minister of State at the Department of Finance with responsibility at the Office of Public Works (OPW), Brian Hayes, has announced flood relief funding for north in the region of $98,000.
The Minor Flood Mitigation works scheme has awarded funding directly to Leitrim County Council for several areas.
The funding includes$28,000 for the construction of an embankment between the Bonet River and R289 at Stonepark Dromahair; $31,000 for channel cleaning at Greyfield; a further $25,000 for similar works on the R280 at Killargue and $13,700 for channel cleaning at Ballinagar/Carrowcrin.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]
A teenager has died after suffering an asthma attack after playing in a hurling match last Wednesday evening.
The 13-year-old who had just finished first year at Colaiste Iosaef in Kilmallock is understood to have taken ill on Wednesday night after returning home from the U14 hurling game against Patrickswell.
According to sources the boy appeared to be well after the game and suffered the attack during the night. It is understood he was rushed to the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Limerick.
[Source: Limerick Leader]
The Longford-Westmeath Constituency would be left intact as a four-seater but Leitrim, Roscommon and parts of Cavan will be affected by changes if proposals from the Constituency Commission are implemented. Under the proposals, the number of TDs in Dail Eireann (Irish Parliament) would be reduced to 158.
[Source: Longford Leader]
An Bord Pleanala held meetings last week in the Four Seasons in Carlingford as part of its process to determine whether Narrow Water Bridge should receive planning permission.
Sinn Féin Louth TD Gerry Adams has expressed his support for the construction of the Narrow Water Bridge linking south Down and County Louth.
Gerry Adams said: “The Narrow Water Bridge makes economic and commercial sense. It would provide a vital infrastructure connection linking north and south which would assist economic, and especially tourism development in an area which desperately needs new investment for jobs and growth.”
[Source: Dundalk Democrat]
A Ballina man has been sent to jail for six years, with two suspended, following a high-speed car crash which left a Leitrim woman unable to move, eat or talk.
Judge Tony Hunt said he could not recall anyone being “so seriously and tragically maimed as a result of a road accident.”
Martin Kearney (31) of Faranoo, Ballina was driving a high-powered BMW 3 series car with a 3.2-litre engine at more than 94 mph at 12:30 a.m. on September 30 at Drumiskabole (near Ballisodare), Sligo. He lost control turning off a main road and onto a slip road and the car skidded for 114 meters, the court heard.
[Source: The Mayo News]
Tara's Natalya Coyle was officially confirmed as the first Irish female athlete to qualify for the Olympics in modern pentathlon when she will represent her country at the London 2012 Games.
The 21-year-old Meath athlete, who only started competing in the sport on an international level in 2009, will compete in modern pentathlon's centenary Olympic competition, but she will have to wait for her moment to shine as the women's modern pentathlon medals will be the last ones awarded at the London Games on Sunday August 12.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]
A Co. Monaghan man already serving a prison sentence for possession of firearms was charged with a new offence of having explosives in Northern Ireland in 2010.
Paul Maguire (26) of Drumleek South, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan was charged with possession of an improvised explosive device with intent to endanger life or to cause serious damage to property at Culloville, Co. Armagh on April 3, 2010.
[Source: Irish Independent]
A father of six has apologized to the community for stealing a priceless artifact from Boher Church.
Thomas Roche, Boyne Meadows, Edenderry was one of two men to appear before Judge Catherine Staines at Tullamore District Court last Wednesday morning charged with the theft of the irreplaceable shrine on June 1.
“I’m sorry for the distress I caused the community. It was a spur of the moment thing, If I could turn back time, I wouldn’t do it again,” said the 39-year-old when he was charged by Tullamore Garda (police officer) Linda Walsh with stealing the priceless item from the Church of St. Manchan earlier this month.
[Source: Offaly Express]
A man has been jailed for 13 years for killing a five-year-old girl who died after he set fire to her house in Co. Roscommon.
John Lynch, originally from Sligo and with an address at Church View in Boyle, Co. Roscommon, also received two eight-year concurrent sentences for arson and causing serious harm.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: