Gardaí (police) were carrying out investigations last week at an unoccupied building in the city after a body of a male was discovered on the premises which is situated at the junction of New Street and John’s Lane.
The body of the man was discovered around 6 p.m. Wednesday evening and several Gardaí were in attendance at the scene for a number of hours as they worked to establish the nature of the death.
The building, which once housed WIT arts and construction students, has been unoccupied since WIT moved out some years ago.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
The Minister for Defense Alan Shatter has said discussions are on-going on the planned abolition of one of the country's three Defense Forces brigades, amid growing fears this week that Athlone's Custume Barracks will be singled out for the loss of brigade headquarters status.
The remarks come as rumors intensify that up to 500 Defense Force members based in Athlone could be redeployed elsewhere, if Custume Barracks loses its status as 4th Western Brigade headquarters.
The Government announced last year that it would be moving to a two-brigade structure, meaning the loss of brigade HQ status in either Athlone; Dublin (2nd Eastern Brigade); or Cork (1st Southern Brigade).
During a visit to Athlone last Monday, Minister Shatter indicated that there was no possibility the Athlone barracks would close, but he refused to be drawn on the outcome of the brigade reshuffle.
"There's a process of reorganization now under discussion in which both the secretary general of my department, the chief of staff, and those who work with both of them, are engaged," said the Minister. "I'm not going to pre-empt those discussions that are taking place."
He said he would be presented with "a proposed reorganized framework for the Defence Forces," once the discussion process concluded.
The implications for local Army personnel if the 4th Western Brigade is scrapped are not yet clear.
SIPTU met with Glanbia management last Thursday to discuss the company's plan to close its plant in Inch, Co Wexford.
The move would make 50 workers redundant.
SIPTU, the union which represents the staff, said the focus of the meeting will be on saving the jobs.
Glanbia made the announcement late last Thursday evening that it intended to close the Wexford factory following an agreement to sell the Yoplait Ireland yoghurt business for $23m.
Glanbia has held the Irish franchise for Yoplait for the past 40 years, and introduced the popular French brand to Ireland in the early 1970s.
It is selling the country franchise to Yoplait’s ultimate owner, US food group General Mills, which has recently also bought the regional franchises for Yoplait in Britain and Canada.
[Source: Irish Examiner]
Wicklow County Council is to go on trial in May of next year in connection with the death of two fire-fighters in Bray.
The council is charged with failing to provide a system of work at Bray Fire Station, which ensured that fire-fighters were not exposed to unnecessary risk. The prosecution is being brought by the Health and Safety Authority.
Forty-six-year-old father of 15 Brian Murray and 26-year-old Mark O'Shaughnessy died fighting a fire at a disused factory at Adelaide Villas, off the Dargle Road, on September 26, 2007.
At a hearing at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court today, the council’s defense team told Judge Martin Nolan that there was still a large about of pre-trial preparation required. The trial is due to start on May 29, 2013 and will last for at least three weeks.
[Source: Irish Independent]