\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Cllr Paddy Bracken said: “I hope we maintain our outdoor staff. They are critical.”



“I, too, would be concerned about the outdoor staff numbers,” said cllr Michael Lalor. “They are reducing all the time.”



Cllr Kathleen O’Brien said: “I hope we do not lose any more outdoor staff. We need to keep them out there.”



Cllr Willie Aird said: “Outdoor staff are very important to any work carried out around the county.” Cllr John King said: “CE schemes need to be looked at to support the work of our outdoor staff when it comes to street cleaning.”
(Source: Leinster Express)

Leitrim

A number of councilors at last Monday’s Council meeting refused to accept assurances from the ESB that they did not open the gates at Lough Allen during the serious flooding of November 2009.

Hydro Manager with ESB Energy International, Senan Colleran, made a special presentation to the Council’s monthly meeting. Addressing the Chamber he said that not only had ESB records which showed they did not open the gates at Lough Allen until after the flooding had receded, gauges owned and monitored by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and the Office of Public Works (OPW) also proved that the ESB had not released water from the Lough but had, instead, held back water, acting as a store for millions of additional litres of water following the torrential rain which started in November 2009.

Mr Colleran said that ESB had no financial interest in controlling water levels.

“I don’t know where the surge (experienced in Leitrim Village in November 2009) came from, all I can tell you is it did not come from Lough Allen,” he maintained.
(Source: Leitrim Observer)

-------------------

Read more:

More news from Ireland on IrishCentral

Irish homeowners now have legal right to shoot intruders

Irish husband and wife tell of harrowing ordeal as Italian cruiser sinks

-------------------


Limerick

Ten members of the same family are to seek legal advice after a leading bookmaking chain refused to honor what they insist were valid bets.

Ann O’Brien from Ballynanty along with nine members of her extended family each placed €2 bets at the Ladbrokes shop in Thomondgate last Friday week on the outcome of that night’s Euromillions draw.

The wagers, which were placed shortly after 8pm, predicted that the numbers 1, 6 and 12 would be among the five numbers drawn in the main draw which was made in Paris at 8.30 on that Friday night.

Ann and her family had attended an anniversary mass earlier in the day and she said the numbers they chose have a special significance with the family.

According to Ann, the total winnings would have come to €15,000.

“The numbers were significant to us and they came up but when we went to claim the money they would not pay us the money,” said Ann, who was referred to the customer service department.

A spokesperson for Ladbrokes head office in Britain told the Limerick Leader that the company only accepts wagers on the Euromillions draw via its website and does not accept such bets in any of its stores.

The spokesman said the bets should not have been accepted by staff at the Thomondgate store and that they should be declared void.

“If the bets were accepted it was misunderstanding,” said the spokesman.

A disclaimer on the Ladbrokes website would seem to back up the company’s stance but Ann O’Brien says she’s not backing down.

“They have offered us our original stake back but what I’m saying is that they should honor the bet, because a bet is a bet, and we want our bet to be honored,” she said..
(Source: Limerick Leader)

Longford

A sister of missing Co Leitrim man Pat Heeran has spoken for the first time about her family’s devastation at facing through Christmas not knowing whether their 48-year-old brother is dead or alive.

In an interview with the Leader last week, Sheila McCrann told of how Mr Heeran’s sudden and unexpected disappearance last October has left a deep void on their lives and that of their distraught mother, Irene.

Speaking openly and candidly about her brother, Ms McCrann said the past four months had been nothing short of a “living nightmare” for both herself and the wider Heeran family.

“Christmas and the New Year was just dreadful,” she confided. “Before you go to bed you are listening for the phone to ring or the door to knock.”

Mr Heeran was last seen alive in Mohill on the afternoon of October 3 wearing brown shoes, blue jeans and possibly a blue zip-up top underneath a brown jacket.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: