\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

The "notice of discontinuance" was filed by the bank two days before Christmas and affects the Irish case dealing with the battle for control of the €500m (£417m) international property empire assembled by the Co Fermanagh family. Sources stressed that the notice only related to Quinn Investments Sweden (QIS), which was originally listed as one of the defendants in the action.

Sean Quinn, his five children and two son-in-laws continue to be listed as defendants.

Anglo, now known as Irish Bank Resolution Corporation , is asking the High Court to prevent the Quinns from interfering with the €500m (£417m) property empire or removing assets from it.

Since the bank is the main creditor of bankrupt Quinn Investments Sweden, continuing to sue QIS would be akin to IBRC suing itself, so QIS has now been excluded from the action.

The Irish case is on hold pending deliberations of the Cypriot courts, which the Quinn family wants to assume responsibility for the case. An outcome in the case, which was expected last October, has not yet been delivered.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)

----------------

Read more:

More news from Ireland on IrishCentral

Michelle Obama felt Irish American political leaders had far too much power

Death of the Irish pub - recession is driving publicans out of business

----------------

Galway

Galway diners should expect to be asked for deposits when it comes to group bookings at peak times after new figures revealed that an average-sized restaurant is losing €10,000 over December due to no-shows.

Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland, Adrian Cummins, said that Christmas 2011 is better than last year due to the favorable weather conditions and all restaurants are reporting increased levels of footfall.

However, the spend by diners is down, which can be attributed to the recession and the December Budget as well as a 30% rise in prices in restaurants over the past 18 months.

“Restaurants are losing 10 to 15% of business per night due to diners not showing up. Our research show that for December, a 60-seater restaurant is losing €10,000 because of that,” Mr Cummins said.

“It’s a particular issue in every county but more so in urban areas like Galway City. We’ve found that 50% of restaurants are insisting on booking deposits for groups of four or more. We’re saying because it’s escalated so much this Christmas that it should continue for all peak times.”

The association believes deposits should be requested for bookings at Christmas, Valentines night, Easter and during festivals or special events.

“I’ve had cases where a group of 20 book and only ten show up – €50 is the average spend per person between food and alcohol, that’s €500 gone down the drain that night. If that happens at 7.30pm it’s harder to refill that table in the likes of Galway where there is less of a critical mass than in Dublin.”
(Source: GalwayBay Fm)

Kerry

An incredible €6,500 was raised from gate receipts at Dingle's Páirc an Ághsaigh last Friday at the inaugural testimonial match for Brendan 'Bawnie' O'driscoll who died tragically in October.

The match saw Dingle GAA play against a selection of players from the clubs of West Kerry.

Players made a concerted effort to make themselves available for the game, including county panel players such as Marc Ó Sé, Tommy Griffin and Dáithí Geaney.

GAA circles in Kerry were well represented with county board members and representatives from a number of clubs present. Terrace Talk's Weeshie Fogarty was also present, as was legendary GAA broadcaster Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

Páirc an Ághsaigh was packed, with supporters from all over Corca Dhuibhne turning out to witness the sides draw even with a final score of 1-10 apiece. Dingle's Daithi Geaney was also named Man of the Match.

The fund has been founded by the GAA Clubs of West Kerry to set up a college scholarship in memory of Brendan 'Bawnie' O'driscoll from Camp. The scholarship will benefit a first year college student who has played underage football with West Kerry.

Brendan (28) collapsed on the pitch as Annascaul took on Lispole on October 23. He was rushed to Cork University Hospital and passed away on Wednesday October 26. During his life he had excelled both in Gaelic football and soccer – with Annascaul GAA, West Kerry and Camp United - and he was even capped as an Irish Junior International.

"We could not be happier after raising €6,500 at the gate," Annascaul GAA'S Sean Barry told The Kerryman. "This will ensure that the scholarship runs for a minimum of seven years."

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: