More redundancies will be announced in stages until final plant closure in two years time. Stiefel has been in Sligo since 1975 and employed 250 people.
They are to cease operations at the Sligo plant by the end of 2013.
(Source: The Sligo Champion)
A Thurles woman has died following a tragic accident last week in Thurles. Bridie Corbett, from Kennedy Park, died as a result of injuries she sustained in a road traffic accident on Friar Street, between 2.30pm and 3pm on Thursday last week (November 17th).
Ms Corbett (81) was taken to South Tipperary General Hospital with injuries which were described as “serious”. Ms Corbett died in the early hours of Friday (November 18th).
Also on Thursday, at around 1.30pm, an empty carriage became separated from a truck at the bridge in Thurles. The street was closed for several hours while a crane was used to winch the carriage onto the back of another truck, to be towed away. It’s understood an emergency ambulance was stopped from crossing the bridge while the diversions were put in place.
(Source: Tipperary Star)
The Tyrone GAA county board is to examine video footage to try to identify who was involved in a “shocking” brawl involving up to 40 people during a game between Carrickmore and Dromore at Dunmoyle, near Ballygawley, Co Tyrone, last Sunday.
Several people were left bloodied and hurt following violent clashes that erupted among fans to the front of the stand after trouble on the field in which two players from the Carrickmore team were sent off.
Eyewitnesses said the trouble first broke out between a number of players and then spilled over to the crowd, with dozens of spectators getting involved.
A number of rival supporters fought in the stand while other spectators tried to pacify them, and others, including young children, looked on in fear.
Damian Harvey, press officer for the Tyrone GAA board, said the board would examine video footage from the game to identify who was involved in the trouble both on and off the pitch.
Mr Harvey said a “small core” of people was involved.
(Source: Irish Times)
A shot fired through the window of grandmother Catherine McGrath’s house at 69 Priory Lawn, Ballybeg, last Sunday night could have had fatal consequences.
Catherine McGrath was at home alone and had just vacated an armchair which was left riddled with pellet marks after a shot was fired through her front downstairs window at 9.45pm.
Speaking to the Waterford News & Star from her home of over 20 years she described the frightening experience.
“It all happened so fast. I was sitting here on my own, my friend was only after going home and I was watching television and next thing there was a big unmerciful bang. I got the fright of my life.
“At first I didn’t know what it was, I went into a complete panic.”
A hole the size of a fist was blasted through her window from what she believed was a shotgun resulting in damage to the walls of her living room and armchair, which are littered with holes and scratches. Catherine luckily wasn’t injured. However, she received a small scratch to her face and arm. She feared that her 16-year-old daughter who normally sits in the bullet riddled chair, or her friend who had just left the house could have been killed if they had been sitting in the line of fire.
“IF THEY had been sitting in that chair they could have been killed.
“When I close my eyes I see the child splattered on the wall, thank God no one was sitting there at the time,” she said.
(Source: Waterford News & Star)
Labour Councillors in Westmeath have decided to stay within the ranks of the party.
It follows a meeting overnight called in the wake of the announcement of the closure of Columb Barracks on Tuesday.
It had been expected that up to half of the 8 politicians would withdraw their support - however following what's being described as a frank and open discussion it's understood no councilor has left the labour party.
Kilbeggan Councillor Gerard Corcoran says Eamon Gilmore will be invited to speak to public reps on the issue.
Meanwhile, a number of local troops - who've been serving in Lebanon for almost five months - are due home this past weekend.
Among those arriving into Dublin Airport this lunchtime are around 20 soldiers from Columb Barracks in Mullingar. Half of the troops from the 104th Battalion will remain on peacekeeping duty until this week - to ensure continuity in the mission.
Members of the 105th battallion are being deployed in their place for a 6 month tour of duty.
Sgt Major Noel O'Callaghan - who's returning from duty in Tibnin this week - says the Mullingar soliders based there haven't let the announced closure of Columb Barracks get to them.
(Source: Midlands Radio)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: