\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Two males, Chinese nationals aged 29 and 50, were arrested at the scene.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)

Down

Death row dog Lennon has been granted a last minute reprieve – as a Belfast judge considers one final appeal to spare his life.

Owner Caroline Barnes and her disabled Brooke have been offered fresh hope in their battle to save Lennox from death.

The pitbull style dog was sentenced to be put down after he was seized by dog wardens in Belfast in May 2010.

The dog has been held at a pound ever since then as experts debate whether or not he is an American bulldog as Caroline claims.

Wardens claimed that Lennox is a banned pitbull-type dog who poses a danger to the public. They also alleged he attacked two people near the family home.

Belfast County Court judge Henry Rodgers agreed with the wardens last month and ordered that Lennox be put down.

A worldwide campaign has since been launched to save Lennox and owner Barnes has now lodged a final appeal to spare his life.
(Source: Irish Central)

Dublin

Priory Hall families fear they will not be able to return home for Christmas after being left in limbo.

Some 240 residents of the north Dublin apartments remain evacuated from the complex because of fire safety concerns.

Now their fate is unclear because both Dublin City Council, and former IRA hunger striker Tom McFeely, who built the units, say they haven't the money to rectify the problems.

In the High Court, the council secured the removal of McFeely's workers from the complex but says it has no money to pay for a new contractor to complete the fire safety works.

McFeely, his company and workers were ordered by the High Court to leave by 6pm on Friday after the council complained about a lack of progress.

A new contractor has been identified but the council has no funds to pay for the work.

Mr McFeely denied there was any breach of court orders but his lawyers said he would not object to being replaced if that was what the council wanted.

Labour councillor Brian McDowell welcomed the decision, saying the residents were always concerned that the developer who built the apartments was also doing the fire safety repairs.

"There is a long way to go in reaching a final resolution to all the problems with Priory Hall but I think (it was) was a good day for the residents," Mr McDowell said.
(Source: The Evening Hearld)

Fermanagh

The Irish gaelic footballer assaulted and seriously injured in a match just days after he arrived in San Francisco has re-lived the horror attack.

Now home in Fermanagh, Mark McGovern spoke to Irish radio presenter Des Cahill about his harrowing ordeal last June.

The 23-year-old arrived back in the village of Belcoo last week after a 14 day trip by sea and land from the West Coast of America.

As his family come to terms with the $1.2 million cost of his medical care, police are investigating the assault involving opponent Patrick Power of the San Francisco Celts club.

Power has received a 96-week ban from all GAA activities and is under investigation by local police after the fracas with McGovern, playing his first game for the Ulster club just days after landing in America.

McGovern’s family were told to prepare for the worst when they first visited their son in a California hospital, such was the horrific nature of his head and brain injuries.

But the Fermanagh county player has defied medical opinion, first by regaining consciousness and then with his recovery to the extent that doctors in the U.S. were delighted to give him permission last month to return home.

“The long journey home was accompanied by a sense of relief,” McGovern told Cahill on RTE radio.
“I don’t really remember much about what happened. The lad hit me a couple of times. I gave him a box just to let him know I was there, but he kept hitting me.

“Later on, when I ran forward to help take a ball, he pretty much came up and whacked me. I can’t really remember what happened afterwards.”

Now under medical care in his home village, McGovern conceded that it will be some time before he is completely recovered from his ordeal.

“My speech still has to be worked on; my balance, too, has a lot to be said for it,” he told Cahill.
“I’ll have rehab running for the next six months, probably longer. I can’t work, can’t drive and can’t drink, either. It’ll be a quiet year for me.”

A fund has been set-up to help the McGovern family cope with the mounting cost of Mark’s treatment.
(Source: Irish Central)

Galway

A man in charge of a Golden Retriever when it attacked a three years old child who approached the restrained animal outside a city supermarket, was fined €500 when he appeared before Galway District Court on Wednesday.

Gerard Hennelly (31), with an address at 112 Fana Burca, Western Distributor Road, had pleaded guilty to being in charge of a dog that was not under effectual control, contrary to the Control of Dogs Act 1986.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: