Tulla United soccer club’s B team enjoyed a 2-1 win when they visited Shannon Olympic earlier this month but within hours of the final whistle, many of the players were counting the cost.
That evening, several of the players were suffering from painful bites, while one of them was subsequently put on a type of medication used in treating tropical infections.
Tulla player, Phil Browne said it was only after the game that he discovered he had suffered a number of bites. “They were the itchiest bites I ever had. They were worse than bites I got from mosquitoes in India,” he commented.
Dermot O’Keeffe was part of the Tulla United defense and he was forced to go to Shannon Doc on the Monday night after the game.
“I hadn’t been feeling great on Sunday before the game and then on Sunday night I started to feel the lumps on my legs. Then on Monday I was a lot worse. All my legs had gone red. It was like the spots had joined up and I felt very bad.”
He said that he had been “ready to collapse” by Monday evening and then sought medical attention. He was given medication similar to that used to fight tropical infections and made a recovery fairly quickly afterwards.
Around eight or nine of the Tulla players were showing bite marks from the game when they next assembled for training.
Shannon Olympic chairman, Tony Hanrahan said he wasn’t aware of his club’s players being affected after the game. Mr Hanrahan said that while there are sometimes midges at the grounds, there hasn’t been any real problem. He also said the midges usually disappear “at the first sign of a frost”. St Senan’s Rugby Club’s grounds are nearby and an underage team were training there on the same day as the soccer match. The following week some parents commented that their children had received bad bites and they were opting to put insect repellent on their children as a result.
The club’s president, Bernie Ryan said while there may sometimes be insects around the ground there has never been any problem with them.
(Source: The Clare Champion)
Aviva has stated that it intends on keeping its Cork operation open, despite announcing last Wednesday that 950 of its staff will lose their jobs in Ireland.
A statement released to the Cork Independent said no final decisions have been made yet, however.
“The announcement is a proposal and no details other than the potentially impacted roles are available. It is our intention to continue to have a presence in Cork, Dublin and Galway," the statement read.
There are over 200 employees in the Aviva offices at Cork Airport Business Park but no jobs will be lost before March 2012 and it could take it up to two years before all the redundancies take effect.
The UNITE Trade Union, which represents the workers, said it was shocked by the announcement.
“The axe has fallen harder and sharper than the worst fears of staff,” said UNITE Regional Officer, Brian Gallagher. “They are stunned and scared by what they have been told.”
Source: (Cork Independent)
Limavady’s only pedestrianised street is to get an “impressive” makeover costing £200,000, the ‘Journal’ can reveal.
The Public Realm Scheme, involving the Department of Social Development and the Department of Regional Development - will see a “rather tired looking” Market Street get an upgrade with new paving, lighting, trees replaced and new street furniture.
A DSD spokesperson said: “This £200,000 public realm project to upgrade Limavady’s Market Street, which is being funded by the Department for Social Development and designed and implemented in partnership with the Department for Regional Development’s Road Service, will commence in January 2012 and take approximately 10-12 weeks to complete. The work will involve the refurbishment of the existing pedestrian zone with the installation of new paving, lighting and street furniture together with replacement tree planting.
“Utility providers are expected to take the opportunity to upgrade their networks in advance of this but it is envisaged that all preliminary works should be completed by early December with temporary reinstatements in place to ensure the area is fully open and safe for use over the busy Christmas/New Year period.”
(Source: Derry Journal)