\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Some 2,032 of those on the live register in Meath are under the age of 25 and the number of men on the dole is significantly more than women with 7,362 males and 4,357 females signing on.

Navan saw a drop in jobless numbers to 5,984 from 6,244 in August. There are 3,803 males and 2,181 females signing on, with 1,037 young people under the age of 25 registered.

In Kells, the number on the live register fell in September to 2,094, down from 2,165 in August. Some 1,313 males and 775 females are on the dole in Kells with 333 of these under 25.

In Trim, the numbers unemployed fell from 3,881 in August to 3,643 last month. There are currently 2,240 men on the dole in Trim and 1,403 women signing on. Some 662 of those on the live register in Trim are under 25.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)

Monaghan

Tractor thefts have fallen by 50pc as a result of a big garda operation that put an international gang out of business.

The operation, which spanned 11 jurisdictions, led to the recovery of €7m of stolen machinery.

The ringleader of the gang, Cyril McGuinness, is now locked up in Belgium, serving a seven-year sentence for his part in the theft of tractors and trailers units.

McGuinness (45), of Derrylin, Co Fermanagh, was detained by gardai on an European arrest warrant and his extradition to Belgium was then ordered by the High Court. He had been a key target of the garda stolen vehicles unit for the past seven years.

McGuinness is serving his sentence in a maximum security jail.

Four years ago McGuinness was convicted of 44 charges in relation to the illegal dumping of 28,000 tonnes of waste from the Republic in Northern Ireland and Scotland. The court heard that he was involved in one of the North's biggest crime gangs, which had made €2.6m in 20 months from the waste smuggling.

McGuinness trusted his associate, Damien McPhillips, from Clones, Co Monaghan, with the task of travelling around Europe to locate suitable vehicles.

McPhillips was extradited to Belgium after he was served with an European arrest warrant while on holiday in Spain. He was sentenced to four years' imprisonment along with a British accomplice, Bob Peachey, who was arrested in Germany.
(Source: Irish Independent)

Offaly

After spending three weeks in Mountjoy Teresa Treacy was free to walk among the trees she cherishes so much last week.

Last Thursday lawyers for the ESB and Eirgrid asked that Ms Treacy be released from prison to facilitate an appropriate environment for further discussions to resolve matters around the construction of the Cushaling - Thornsberry 110kV Line.

In a statement they said intensive efforts had been taking place with Ms Treacy’s family and the IFA to resolve the situation. “However, Ms Treacy’s release will enable further dialogue with her and her family to reach a mutually agreeable solution.”

“We remain committed to the completion of the project, which is critical to providing a safe, secure and reliable electricity system for the Midlands region.

“ESB and EirGrid are very pleased that Ms Treacy is returning to her family after what has been a difficult time for them,” they said.
(Source: Offaly Express)

Roscommon

Roscommon are reported to be interested in having Mick O’Dwyer take charge of the senior footballers.

Fergal O’Donnell stepped down last week after a very successful spell in charge of the Rossies, including winning the Connacht title in 2009.

His sudden departure, for work reason, shocked the county and now the legendary Kerryman is linked with the position.

However, county secretary Brian Stenson told the Irish Sun: “We have not even started yet [looking for a replacement].”

O’Dwyer, who has managed his own county, Kildare, Laois and Wicklow to success over a 36-year management career, stepped down from the Garden County job this summer but pledged to continue in the game if the right opportunity arose.
(Source: Setanta Sport)

Sligo

A man who was going to convert an old BMW into a horsedrawn carriage for tourists has seen his plans go up in smoke after it was set alight last weekend.

South Sligo horse breeder Seamus Durcan believes the Sunday night attack was as a result of a 'personal grudge' against him.

"I have no idea who would do this, but only a few weeks ago, human excrement was fired at the windscreen. Given that the car was located in an isolated spot, it seems to me somebody went to a lot of trouble to carry out this attack," he said.

Mr. Durcan, from Cashel, Tubbercurry, bought the 12 years old car 'for a small price' from a friend of his about two months ago, and was keeping it on his land at Drimbane, Curry, about a mile and half from his home. It was his intention to break up the car and to use its alloy wheels, leather seats and customised number plate to build a horse-drawn carriage.
(Source: The Sligo Champion)

Tipperary

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: