It has led to criticism, with the SDLP describing the amount as “shocking”, while unionists branded it the cost of cultural intolerance. The biggest cost for a single parade was £766,000, which was spent on policing an Orange Order march near Ardoyne on July 12 and 13.
A further £301,000 went towards the security operation for the Apprentice Boys’ march through Londonderry on August 13, with the contentious Whiterock parade costing £233,000.
There was also a £154,000 bill for the Tour of the North parade in mid-June, while a contentious march through Rasharkin in North Antrim cost £65,000.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)
Sentencing in the case of a city woman convicted earlier this year by a jury of setting fire to her Council house has been deferred until support services are put in place prior to her release from custody.
Veronica MacAnespie (45), of 38 Tulach Ard, Rahoon, Galway had denied setting fire to her local authority house at the above address in the early hours of November 28, 2007, during a three-day trial at Galway Circuit Criminal Court in May.
The jury took just over an hour to find her guilty and Judge Raymond Groarke remanded Ms MacAnespie in custody to await sentence on July 13. She was further remanded on that date to appear before the court again last week for sentence.
However, it emerged at the sentencing hearing that City Council had evicted Ms MacAnespie from her home immediately following her conviction and incarceration last May and she had no place to live now if released. The court was told the City Council was now ‘obliged’ to house her.
Judge Groarke said he would not finalise sentencing until such time as the woman had a place to stay and was being supervised and helped by the relevant support services.
Kieran O’Loughlin, SC defending, said the City Council were obliged to house his client and the psychiatric service in Galway would have to put support services in place for her.
Judge Groarke agreed and said the doctor at the Central Mental Hospital stated MacAnespie was still very vulnerable and needed supervision. Reading between the lines that meant that as long as she remained vulnerable she posed a risk of doing the same thing again, he said.
He adjourned sentencing to Friday, November 11 next so that the local services could liaise and put a support structure in place for the woman. “I have to ensure that something similar or worse does not happen in the future,” he added.
(Source: GalwayBay Fm)
A 42-year-old man has been found guilty in Tralee of the multiple rape and sexual assault of a then 10-year-old girl in her home in a town in south Kerry in the Christmas period 2001/2002.
The eight counts on which the man, who is not a relative, was found guilty included two counts of oral rape, three counts of rape, two of sexual assault one of attempted anal rape .
He was acquitted of the rape and sexual assault of her older sister during the same period.
The jury of six men and six women had spent just under three hours deliberating on the matter at the Central Criminal Court in Tralee before bringing in unanimous verdicts after the five day trial.
(There were originally 11 counts but one count of sexual assault was withdrawn from the jury). The court heard upsetting evidence from the two young women how their mother was “always drinking”.
he would go out with her then live in boyfriend and the man would babysit the two girls and a number of younger siblings. When the older girl revealed to neighbours her allegations he was asked to leave the house.
The younger girl told the jury she remembered on one occasion being carried from her bed to a back bedroom when her mother was out drinking. He was drunk and staggering, she had been wearing a pink nightdress with a monkey on it.
The man had raped her in the back bedroom and he had also orally raped her. He had stopped when she screamed when he attempted to rape her anally, she told the jury.
During the attack “he said the same thing as always . . . good girl”, she told the jury.
On another occasion she vomited after oral rape in the sitting room of the house and he told her to fetch a towel to clean it up, she said.
School records of the older girl showed high levels of absenteeism, the jury heard.
The man, who is from a large family from outside Kerry had denied all counts. He had told gardaí who had travelled to London in 2009 to interview him that it was “two sisters making up stories” and that he would never touch a child.
(Source: Irish Times)
The latest figures from the Central Statistics Office show a total of 18,084 people signing on in the county, a drop of 1,280 on the August figure.
The Kildare total mirrors the pattern elsewhere in the country, with unemployment falling nationally although a staggering 442,200 people are still jobless. In addition to the monthly decline, the national figures are also showing a decrease of 4,976 on September of last year, amounting to 1.1%, and this has been heralded as the first actual annual decrease in unemployment since April 2007.