John joined A.G.S.I. on promotion to sergeant in 1994. He has previously presented motions at the Annual Delegate Conference as part of the Headquarters, before joining the Headquarters Branch in 1999.
He served on the Headquarters Branch of A.G.S.I. since then, and has continued to be an active contributor at Conference. John has held the position of branch chairman and is currently the branch secretary. John also served on two national executives from 2007 to 2010, and from 2010 to date.
[Source: Offaly Express]
Roscommon Gardaí (police) has issued a warning to publicans and parents of teenagers that they are stepping up their campaign to tackle underage drinking in pubs in the town. Gardaí has visited a number of pubs over the past three weekends at various times to check on patrons and to ensure that they are over 18.
This will continue as part of the national campaign called “You May Be Asked,” where age cards will be requested and checked by Gardaí.
[Source: Roscommon Herald]
It once was home to the Marist Sisters secondary and boarding school.
Now a Tubbercurry landmark will house a major new social housing project.
Sophia Housing, together with Sligo County Council, has developed a scheme of 32 apartments at the Emmet Road site.
[Source: Irish Independent]
North Tipperary Sinn Fein Councilor Seamus Morris has defended controversial remarks he made on his Facebook page this month about Fine Gael’s candidate in the Meath East by-election and has rejected a call from North Tipperary Young Fine Gael that he apologize for the remarks.
According to Young F.G., the offending comments about the family of the late Sean McEntee were posted on March 14 when Clr. Morris wrote: “Isnt it amazing that the McEntee family can put their grief to one side to keep their snouts in the trough.”
Young F.G. Secretary Padraig O’Sullivan said in a statement that the remarks were “particularly disconcerting due to the nature of Minister McEntee’s death. It is also very discouraging to a young female candidate such as his daughter Helen McEntee, who is more than adequately educated and qualified to representing the people of Meath East.”
[Source: Tipperary Star]
Dungannon's new business park at Granville has got its first business.
A Dungannon-based company, which does not want to be named yet, plans to take up 15 acres of the 20-acre business park site, which is situated on the outskirts of the town.
And the Courier has learned that no less than six other businesses have also registered an interest in acquiring land within the business park.
[Source: Tyrone Courier]
Bus Éireann has said the provision of accessible bus stops on its network is "the responsibility of local authorities."
It comes after a wheelchair user from Dungarvan, County Waterford, was refused entry on to her local Bus Éireann bus to Cork because she is disabled and there is no accessible bus stop in the town.
The woman, who does not want to be named, said she was forced to travel 40 minutes to Waterford for the next nearest wheelchair accessible bus stop.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
It may have been almost 40 years ago, but the memory is still fresh in the mind of one of Ireland’s greatest cycling legends, Sean Kelly.
Way back then, the fresh-faced Carrick-on-Suir native completed one of three stage wins in the 1975 Nissan Classic when he powered his bike home on the approach to Mullingar.
The town might have been a bit of a blur but the reality of the victory remains clear in his mind.
“I can’t really remember the town but there was to be a climb to the finish and I didn’t notice it,” said Sean as he spoke with local journalists in The Greville Arms Hotel on Saturday, March 23.
[Source: Westmeath Examiner]
A well-known local businesswoman is in a stable condition at Wexford General Hospital having been injured in a major accident on the N25.
The woman, (who is in her 70s), was driving at Assaly, Killinick near the Danby Lodge when the accident occurred shortly before 1 p.m. on Wednesday.
The Echo understands the other vehicle involved in the accident was a Wexford County Council lorry.
[Source: Wexford Echo]
Gardaí (people) in Wicklow searching for a missing man off Arklow pier have discovered a body washed up on a beach some two miles away from Arklow Town.
It comes after the car which plunged into the water was recovered by a crane.
A rescue operation was launched after the car plunged into the water off the pier at around 6 a.m. last Tuesday.
A man in his 30s and believed to be originally from Hungary was inside the vehicle at the time, and a woman in her 20s and originally from Poland managed to escape from the car and raise the alarm.
[Source: Irish Examiner]
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: