Last Friday police launched a hunt for masked gunmen spotted on the streets of Lurgan during an eruption of violence. Ugly scenes flared after three dissident Republicans from the town were each jailed for 15 years for plotting to kill police officers. Gangs of masked youths hijacked vehicles in the Kilwilkie estate, while an articulated lorry was also set on fire in the nearby Tullygally estate. Police said they received numerous reports of armed gunmen in the area but there were no reports of shots being fired. An investigation has been launched into last Thursday night's disorder and the police have vowed to bring those behind the violence to justice. CI Jason Murphy said the trouble — believed to be orchestrated by dissident republicans — was an attempt to draw officers in and “cause serious disruption”.
(Source: The Belfast Telegraph)
A high-powered delegation of senior Fianna Fáil personalities arrived in south Armagh last week to take the first historic steps in formally organizing the party in the area. Justice Minister Dermot Ahern, Dr Rory O’Hanlon, former Ceann Comhairle, Seamus Kirk, Chairman of Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party and Sean Dorgan, General Secretary of Fianna Fáil arrived for the meeting which saw the party of De Valera set up a forum in south Armagh. The decision comes after a year of negotiations between party representatives and a locally based south Armagh group who have worked ceaselessly together to eventually realize the breakthrough.
(Source: The Examiner)
A frustrated father has pleaded with a local primary school to stop asking him for money. The man, whose daughter attends school in Carlow town, has spoken out about the spiraling costs of sending a child to primary school and is publicly pleading with the school to stop asking parents for money. The unemployed father, who asked not to be named for fear of embarrassing his daughter, has now come out and said enough is enough. INTO spokesperson Peter Mullan said he sympathized with the Carlow father, saying his story was being echoed by parents across the country.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)
One of Europe's biggest cultural festivals, Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann is coming to Cavan. The town was confirmed as host for 2010 on Saturday last, when an official start date of August 16 was set for the event. Jack Keyes, county manager, was one of the key figures behind the application. "It's historical for the county and it's a great opportunity for us to show what Cavan has to offer the world," he said. Up to 250,000 people are expected to visit Cavan over the nine days of the event, with participants coming from as far afield as the US and Russia. With an estimated return for the economy of €30 million, the event will also be beamed out to six different TV channels.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)
Members of Clare County Council are set to end a long running dispute at Doonbeg golf club by voting to extinguish a contentious right of way at the course. This follows a report circulated to councilors and set to go before next Monday’s September meeting. The council executive is recommending that councilors adopt an order extinguishing the right of way at Doonbeg. The move will end the public’s right to walk across the 4th and 14th fairways at the Greg Norman-designed Doonbeg golf course. Instead, an alternative right of way is to be provided a short distance from the existing one. An oral hearing was heard into the extinguishment last October, and the row over the disputed right of way has involved two separate High Court actions and Doonbeg golf club constructing a wall across the right of way.
(Source: The Irish Times)
A Cloyne Diocese spokesman has refuted a claim that anti-Lisbon groups are being allowed to leave literature in the porches of Catholic Churches. A spokesman for the Cloyne Diocese has strongly refuted claims that anti-Lisbon groups are being allowed to leave pamphlets and literature within its churches. This after Cork East Labor TD Sean Sherlock called on the church to clarify its position on the distribution of what he described as "political leaflets" within its churches. "I do not think it is right that when I decide to go to mass on a Sunday I discover leaflets from the Fatima Rosary Group advocating a blatant 'No' to the Lisbon treaty," fumed Deputy Sherlock. "I believe strongly that I have a right to attend church without being bombarded with messages from either side of the debate."
(Source: The Corkman)
Two men have appeared in court in Portugal charged in connection with the death of Derry businessman Paul Houston in the Algarve earlier this month. The two Brazilians aged 19 and 26 were charged with homicide and robbery. The 26-year-old was remanded in custody while the 19-year-old was placed under partial house arrest. Mr. Houston (51) died after being attacked in Alvor while walking back to his accommodation in the early hours of September 6th. The father-of-four was on a trip to the Algarve with his wife when the tragedy occurred
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: