Bill Bergin, leader of the community group from the Walkin Street and Gaol Road area, said that the area was unsuitable because of the number of elderly people living up there. “The area we are talking about is a residential area occupied by elderly people,” he said. “We are afraid that putting a skate park in here will bring a lot of anti-social behavior. The skate park should be built in a more appropriate area, up in the Castle Park or Scanlon Park, where they have the facilities.”
Mr Bergin said the residents weren’t impressed by the response of the councilors and that was why they were taking to the streets. “The neighboring residents are adamant that they don’t want a skate park in the Closh. We’ve had to come out in the streets with placards and we’ll continue if we don’t get the respect that we residents deserve.”
(Source: Kilkenny People)
A chalice dating back to the 1700s was among items snatched when shameless raiders broke into St John’s Church, Killenard.
The church was burgled last Friday morning.
After gaining entry to the sacristy, the men made off with a heavy duty safe, which contained the period church piece.
Gardaí believe there was no money in the safe, only some church documents, along with the chalice.
The theft is believed to have taken place some time between 9.30am and 12.30pm, although gardaí say there is a possibility it could have taken place sometime later in the afternoon.
While the chalice holds immense historical value, it’s not deemed to hold a signifi cant monetary value.
Fr Thomas Dooley, PP, addressed congregations last weekend informing them of the senseless theft.
Of particular concern for the parish, he said, is the fear that the chalice will end up being melted down.??A parish spokesperson told the Laois Nationalist: “It’s not so much the monetary value, but the value of it in terms of history.”
(Source: Leinster Express)
There was a strong reaction to this emotive topic with the finger of blame being pointed at the HSE, Fine Gael, the emergency services and air support.
The shock of the news of Meadhbh McGivern’s unsuccessful attempt to get to England for a liver transplant was expressed over the past week on the Leitrim Observer Facebook page where the question was asked, ‘Where does responsibility lie in relation to the blunder that prevented Meadhbh McGivern being transported to London for a liver transplant?’
(Source: Leitrim Observer)
JP McManus has put up a prize fund of €50,000 for a unique competition aimed at improving the appearance of neighborhoods all around Limerick city and its environs.
But Limerick’s richest man says the initiative is about more than prize money: he hopes the competition will be the first step in making the city a cleaner and better environment.
The Limerick Leader, along with our sister paper the Limerick Chronicle and Live 95FM, is fully behind the initiative and we are encouraging all our readers to embrace the idea and do their bit to help make Limerick Ireland’s cleanest city.
Twelve areas within Limerick city have entered the Tidy Towns 2011 with the help of Limerick City Council. They will now be competing for the prize money put up by the JP McManus Foundation in a competition that will involve a panel of judges as well as votes from readers of the Limerick Leader and Limerick Chronicle and listeners to Limerick’s Live 95FM.
Dozens of other areas who are not in the Tidy Towns event this year are being offered some financial support to play their part in the big clean-up.
The idea for the competition was the result of discussions between Limerick City Council and the JP McManus Foundation and Mr McManus was at City Hall last week to meet some of the residents who will be competing for the prize money.
“We want to start small and work up,” said JP. “This is about tidying up the neighbourhoods and the city generally and giving people a bit of help and encouragement to make good things happen. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I hope we’ll get there with this over time. Have a look again in 12 months’ time and tell us if things are better.
(Source: Limerick Leader)
At present 89 local authority houses are lying empty in County Longford despite the fact that 1,322 people are currently on the waiting list, according to figures released by Longford Co Council. The Council attributed the discrepancy between the figures to “reduced funding being available to Longford County Council”.
Currently, it is taking an average of seven weeks to rehouse local authority housing tenants in County Longford. This is significantly lower than the national average which shows that some local authorities are taking up to five months to re-let council houses even though there are over 100,000 people on the list nationwide.