I’ll Tell Mommy!
A 24-YEAR-old man told police, “If you touch me I will tell my ma,” a court has heard.
Gary Deehan, of Swift Court, Ballymagroarty, pleaded guilty to disorderly behavior on February 3.
Derry Magistrate’s Court heard that Deehan went into the enquiry office of Strand Road PSNI station and told staff there, “I don’t give a f***.”
He was asked why he was there but wouldn’t say and repeated again, “I don’t give a f***.”
There were other people present in the enquiry office and Deehan was arrested because he wouldn’t calm down and called an officer a “p****.”
Defense solicitor Paddy MacDermott told the court his client was highly intoxicated at the time and doesn’t know why he went into the police station.
Imposing a £100 fine, District Judge Barney McElholm said Deehan’s comment to police about his mother “was my favorite remark.”
Stop the Concerts
LOCAL residents are calling on minister of state at the Office of Public Works Brian Hayes to use his position to refuse permission for up to three proposed outdoor concerts in the Phoenix Park this summer.
Up to 40,000 fans are expected to attend each of the gigs for the Killers, Mumford and Sons and possibly another unconfirmed act in mid-July.
Despite reassurances from officials and event organizers, many residents who live around the park fear a repeat of the violence and anti-social behavior that blighted their communities following concerts in the park last year.
Castleknock councilor Eithne Loftus was attacked in her car by a group of young thugs following one of those gigs, and said she wasn’t convinced there wouldn’t be trouble this year.
Loftus attended a recent information meeting about the gigs at Phoenix Park Visitors Center where up to 100 locals voiced their concerns to event organizers and officials.
She said some residents in Castleknock were angry that they hadn’t been invited to the meeting, given that they lived next door to the park.
“There’s just too many people attracted to these events. Many turn up without tickets and they won’t be let into the park with drink,” said Loftus.
“Last year those who couldn’t get into the park ended up in local housing estates and there were gangs of them. People shouldn’t have to put up with that.”
Pat Allison from Navan Road Community Council said the national park should not be used for expensive private functions such as concerts that have the potential to cause lasting damage. She called on Hayes to intervene to ensure that licenses are not granted for the events.
“The park was left in an awful state last year,” she added.
Residents also fear that the number of concerts could be increased and that eventually the park could host a weekend-long festival.
The Office of Public Works said new measures will be put in place for this year’s concerts, should the license application be successful.
“Despite the very unsatisfactory outcomes [of last year’s events], there is broad agreement that outdoor concerts per se in Dublin in the summer months do have benefits for the city's economy,” said a spokesperson.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: