“The New York Times” on Monday reported that Fox News executives are “contemplating life without” Glenn Beck after his current contract expires in December.
If his contract is not renewed, Beck would be forced to leave a network which significantly boosted his profile over the past two years.
Networks with such sway as Fox News tend to be coy regarding information on contracts.
This has been a difficult year for Beck after noted media writer Howard Kurtz reported last year that there was a “deep split” within Fox News as a result of Beck’s credibility on the network.
Last September Mark Leibovich from “The New York Times” wrote about growing tensions between Beck and the network over his outside media ventures.
Beck was also chastised over his frequent attacks on liberal billionaire George Soros which were later condemned by Jewish organizations.
Since Beck’s ratings have fallen over 300 advertisers have pulled their commercials from the show. Last November he fell from his spot as the third highest rated show in cable news.
Joel Cheatwood, the Fox News executive responsible for his show, told David Carr from “The New York Times” that he has discussed lightening the tone of the show with Beck.
"It is really important that no matter how dire he thinks things are or what horrible direction things may be going from his perspective that the show maintains a sense of hope," Cheatwood said.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: