Cork man emerges from coma after savage Boston attack

Gary Halpin (right) is recovering in Boston after he was the victim of a vicious street assault

An Irish immigrant has emerged from a coma in Boston after he was the victim of a vicious street assault in his neighborhood, in which he was robbed.

Gary Halpin, 33, originally from Co. Cork, was left fighting for his life after the attack last Saturday night. It is understood that he has emerged from his coma and has taken his first steps since the weekend.

His mother, father and brother have flown from Ireland to be by his bedside. His aunt Mary Shannon  told the Irish Independent that he is making a slow recovery.

‘‘He’s out of ICU and is doing well," she said. "It’s small steps at the moment, he’s out of bed and eating and drinking a small bit."

She said the Irishman remembers Saturday night, up until the assault.

‘‘His progress is slow but we’re pleased because he had been in a coma and it had been life threatening,’’ she added.

The aunt confirmed he had his bank card stolen during the attack and that police in Boston are investigating the robbery.

Originally from Carrigaloe in Cobh, Co Cork, Haplin moved to Boston in 2006, where he works as a freelance designer.

The father of one was discovered unconscious near the corner of Gallivan Blvd and Adams St, in the Dorchester section of Boston in the early hours of Sunday morning, after residents complained about a disturbance in the area.

Witnesses told police they saw a man staggering down the street. According to a police report, an officer saw Halpin stand up and attempt to get into his car before collapsing. He was then rushed to Boston Medical Centre (BMC) hospital.