The disposition of New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan is to be released among the files on the alleged sexual abuse by priests in Milwaukee.
Dolan’s testimony will be among the thousands of documents related to priest sexual abuse lawsuits to be released by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee on July 1.
The Daily News reports lawyers for abuse victims claim the documents will help expose alleged cover ups.
Last year the Milwaukee archdiocese confirmed it paid suspected d pedophile priests $20,000 to help them transition to life outside the priesthood.
Dolan, who served as Archbishop in Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009 welcomed the disclosure.
"I think the Catholic Church has learned a very painful lesson on what not to do in terms of dealing with sexual abuse," said Joseph Zwilling, spokesperson for the Archdiocese of New York.
"The cardinal was very open with the lawyers, answered all of their questions, and said at that time that he wanted people to know what happened," Zwilling said.
The advocacy group Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) released a statement that said, "We are grateful this deposition is being made public. It's a shame it takes civil litigation and brave victims to force Dolan to answer for his wrongdoing,"
SNAP alleges that Dolan deliberately mislead victims about the Church’s prior knowledge of abusive priests.
Irish apple crumble cake recipe