Two sisters of a Bloody Sunday victim have rejected offers of financial compensation from the British government this week.

Linda and Kate Nash, whose teenage brother William was among 14 men shot dead after British paratroopers opened fire on unarmed civil rights protesters in Derry in January 1972, told 'I find it repulsive.'

It's understood that moves are being made by the Ministry of Defense (MOD) to compensate some bereaved families following representation from solicitors acting on their behalf of some of the relatives, however the Nash sisters have vowed they would not take money for personal financial gain.

'Not under any circumstances will I ever accept money for the loss of my brother. I find it repulsive, taking anything from the MOD. If the MOD wants to set up bursaries they can, but not in my brother’s name.'

An MOD spokesperson told BreakingNews: 'We acknowledge the pain felt by these families for nearly 40 years, and that members of the armed forces acted wrongly. For that, the Government is deeply sorry.

'We are in contact with the families’ solicitors and where there is a legal liability to pay compensation, we will do so.'

Lord Saville, in a landmark report released last year, openly criticised the British Army over the killings ruling that the Army fired first and without provocation. All 14 victims who died almost forty years ago were unarmed and completely innocent, Lord Saville found.

Read More:

Bloody Sunday families to be compensated by British government

Irish groups angry over British subpoenas for Boston College IRA interview records

Last Bloody Sunday march in Derry

The paratroopers later insisted they had only retaliated, in an blatant attempt to cover up the truth, according to the document, which Prime Minister David Cameron called 'shocking.'

'Despite the contrary evidence given by soldiers, we have concluded that none of them fired in response to attacks or threatened attacks by nail or petrol bombers. No one threw or threatened to throw a nail or petrol bomb at the soldiers on Bloody Sunday,' the report concluded.

The MOD’s decision to offer compensation followed a letter sent to the Prime Minister by solicitors representing the bereaved families, asking what he was going to do about Bloody Sunday.