Poll shows Irish public want to abolish the government’s Seanad
53 percent of Irish people want the upper house scrapped
More than half of Irish people (53%) want to see the Seanad scrapped, according to a new Millward Brown poll conducted for the Sunday Independent.
Only seven percent want to keep the upper house as it is, while 30 percent would like to see it reformed.
Prime minister Enda Kenny has said that getting rid of the chamber is central to the government's political reform plan, reports TheJournal.ie. However, the Seanad's supporters say that abolishing it won't save money.
A referendum on the issue is expected next fall.
The upper house of the Oireaschtas, which just marked its 90th anniversary was scrapped in 1936 for blocking many of Eamon de Valera's reform plans but was recreated only a year later under the new Irish constitution of 1937.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...
Eiriamach - Absolutly. However, Mandala was wrong, as the IRA were achieving nothing and had no prospect of ever uniting Ireland, such was the generalGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
What the stupid liberals here don't know about Catholic schools: If a male teacher told his students that he was living with, but not married to his gSarah Palin is saving Christmas
When one of the know nothings needs to drum up some support or ratings they inevitably attack a conservative. Be it Palin or Limbaugh, the lazy authorRapist laughed at victim as he claimed he was HIV positive and had Hepatitis C
I certainly hope that the woman is able to overcome the trauma and have a normal life. I do, however, hope that the rapist has a stroke and loses the