Newgrange named Ireland's most important historical site
Survey finds ancient monument is the nation's favorite
Newgrange has been declared the most important historical site in Ireland by the annual National Heritage Survey.
The survey also found that the ancient Co Meath monument is the nation's favorite heritage site for the fourth year in a row. The site, which predates Stonehenge and the pyramids at Giza, is famous worldwide for its annual alignment with the sun on the winter solstice.
The monument received 12 percent of votes, ahead of Glendalough (9 percent), the Cliffs of Moher (8 percent), the Rock of Cashel (5 percent) and the Burren (5 percent).
According to the survey, Ireland likes its castles, which were voted the country's favorite sites to visit over museums and county manors and estates.
The survey found that 91 percent believed heritage sites were vital to tourism, but nearly 75 percent also said that not enough was being done to promote the sites.
Here's a short video on the Meath tomb:
Originally published in 2010.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
Having trouble making up my mind as to whether senora Cohen is right. Will withhold my opinion until I have fully examined the video in question.Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination” for second year by USA travelers
This, in spite of the I C assurances that "Real Irish" loathe "Plastic Paddies." Now once again proud canuck shows his Envy of AmeRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
eiriamach Verbiage is not a substitute for substance.The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
Proud Canuck Let us imagine that you achieve the ultimate goal of Socialism, every person is equal financially. What happens to the motivation to exce