John Walker Lindh, the American Taliban, seeks Irish citizenship - POLL
Irish American likely to settle in Ireland on his release if given citizenship
The father of American-born Taliban solider, John Walker Lindh, who is serving 20 years in prison, is petitioning for his son to be granted Irish citizenship. It is likely he will seek to settle there on his release.
Frank Lindh also belives that the Irish government could question his son’s treatment by American authorities if he was an Irish citizen.
When John Walker Lindh was captured in Afghanistan he told the soldiers he was Irish to try and disguise his US citizenship. His preferred name is now Abu Sulayman al-Irlandi (the Irlandi title refers to Lindh's claim to be Irish).
The young man’s father, who is Irish American, spoke to Newstalk radio about his son and his plan to get Irish citizenship. Frank Lindh’s mother is from Donegal.
Walker Lindh and his father visited Ireland in 1998 (see photo above) at the time “he found Irish people to be open and accepting,” according to a Broadsheet.ie report.
More news from Ireland on IrishCentral
In his interview on Newstalk radio in Ireland Lindh’s father stated that
• He believes his son will be released from his 20 yrs sentence in 7 yrs on parole.
• He hopes his son could live in Ireland when he gets out of prison.
• He says his son will not be safe in America. That's why he hopes his son might be able to live in Ireland.
• He thinks many in America believe his son was involved in 9/11. He says that statements by Pres Bush & others have marked John out as a terrorist.
• He is working on getting Irish passports for all three of his kids.
• He expects no issue getting Irish citizenship for JWL
• He figures Irish govt should support him because of human rights issue in John's case.
Last year, Lindh spoke at the University of San Francisco, School of Law and told of how his son was handling prison nearly a decade after being captured. In 2002, his son pleaded guilty to supplying the Taliban government and carrying explosives for them. He was charged with conspiring to kill Americans and support terrorists. Those charges were dropped in a plea agreement.
15 - 60 | See all comments
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Engaged couple fired by Catholic school for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
Black white yellow red hebrew who cares about a man named Hesus among the many hesuses or what color he wasMegyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white, get used to it (VIDEO)
Jesus is a myth, so you can paint him any color you want. The whites want Jesus to look like them, so they paint him white. If blacks want a black JeGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
I am sick of gays whining about 'they are being mean to me'. Go to another bakery - there are dozens!Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
It amazes me of the ignorance of Irish comments & the short memory ,or lack of memory of the islamic terrorists throughout European history.Its i