IrishCentral’s top ten quotes of 2011 - from the wacky to the profound - PHOTOS
Barack Obama, Damian McGinty, Queen Elizabeth and Rory McIlroy make the list
With one last look back as we begin 2012, here is a run down of some of the most memorable and crazy quotes of 2011.
1. Charlie Sheen during his downward spiral:
On his natural high: "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." ("20/20.")
Read More: Charlie Sheen named the Highest Paid Actor on TV by Forbes
2. Barack Obama on his ancestor Falmouth Kearney leaving Offaly in search of the American Dream:
“It's the dream that Falmouth Kearney was attracted to when he went to America. It's the dream that drew my own father to America from a small village in Africa. It's a dream that we've carried forward, sometimes through stormy waters, sometimes at great cost, for more than two centuries. And for my own sake, I'm grateful they made those journeys because if they hadn't you'd be listening to somebody else speak right now.”
3. Queen Elizabeth in her speech at Dublin Castle:
“To all those who have suffered as a consequence of our troubled past I extend my sincere thoughts and deep sympathy. With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all.”
4. Revealed in the Jackie Onassis Kennedy tapes this year, her impression of the Irish:
“There seems to be all these Irish-- they always seem to have a persecution thing about them” she said.
5. Damian McGinty on winning ‘The Glee Project’; he told IrishCentral.com:
“This doesn’t happen to people from Ireland, especially from Derry, it just doesn’t happen. To get to be on the biggest TV show in America is just a dream come true.”
6. In his inaugural speech, Michael D Higgins, the ninth President of Ireland, called on the Irish Diaspora to aid the country’s recovery:
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
The USA does not need any more Europhile immigrants like Seanmor who think all immigrants whose first language is not English are disease-ridden crimiSmithwick inquiry finds Irish police may have colluded in two IRA murders
1 of your commentators say that we should have invaded, with the modernised and well equipped Army we have now, if only we had the same at the start o'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain its popularity (VIDEO)
I use a sample of "Danny Boy" in "Give Us Back The Beautiful Game - Small Heath Rifles BCFC WW1 Mix". It's the anthem of every FlaPope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny” calls on leaders to fight poverty
Undoubtedly, well meaning and intentioned opinions. But how does one explain the reputedly infinitesmal weatlh in the Vatican City's vaults, and inves