Irish bishop pressured by government to quit over Church child abuse
- News / Leading Irish Catholic priest: Child sex-abuse scandal 'goes right to the top in Rome / Click here
- News / Irish American group wants scandal bishops out / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd column: Ground Zero in Irish Catholic child sex abuse scandal / Click here
- News/ Damning report on cover-up shocks Ireland / Click here
- Father Tim column / Time for Irish Catholic churchmen to head to the airport / Click here
A senior minster in the Irish government has stated that the Bishop of Limerick should reconsider his position after his involvement in the Murphy report about child sex abuse became known.
The Bishop of Limerick, Donal Murray, has reacted to calls from the public to resign, and said he would "be guided by the priests and people of the diocese" and make a decision that is relative to their opinion.
The Bishop was criticized in the recent Murphy report about child abuse within the Catholic Church. Murray was one of the hierarchy mentioned that covered up the abuse.
Limerick's Minister of Defense, Willie O'Dea, was asked on national TV whether or not the Bishop of Limerick should resign.
“I know Donal Murray personally and I have always had a very good relationship with him, and I find him a decent man. I must say that I am bitterly disappointed to read what I have read in the Murphy report. I am sure Donal Murray, who is a person who would think deeply about these things, is examining his situation at the moment and he will make the appropriate decision,” O'Dea said.
Bishop John McAreavey of Dromore said that the Bishop had "serious questions to answer", and that his actions in response to child abuse was "inexcusable."
Bishop McAreavey added, "I'm sure that Bishop Murray is reflecting on that. I know that he has, to date, taken the view that he should remain but I think he will be thinking very seriously about this."
Murray addressed Mass at St. Joseph's Church in Limerick yesterday.
"There have as you know been calls for me to resign. As far as I am concerned, the question of whether I should resign is a question of whether my presence here is a help or a hindrance to the diocese of Limerick,” he said.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Amazing story of the Quakers and the Irish...
Let a jew do the talking, go read Goliath, life and loathing in greater Israel by MAX BLUMENTHAL, This saids it all ! Racist state for racist people.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
I could do very well with never hearing Christmas Shoes or Christmas Eve in Washington and anything Mariah Carey screechs tru.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
Agree with Madonna's Santa Baby, Awful. Loved the Eartha Kitt versionIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
Chuck "I will reserve my hatred for those who attempt to harm me or my country." USS Liberty and Cole anyone? Levon Affair? Right wing Is