Ireland on full alert for swine flu as second person dies
Man did not have underlying medical condition
Ireland is on full alert for swine flu after a second person has died from the disease.
The man - who has not been identified - did not have any underlying medical condition.
Health experts say they are now very concerned about what the fall will bring.
The man - who was from the east coast of the country - contracted the influenza A(H1N1) virus in Ireland.
The condition of that person is not known.
This is the second death this month from the disease.
An 18-year-old woman with cystic fibrosis from Sligo died at Tallaght Hospital earlier this month.
Health authorities say they are seeing about 1,400 people a week with flu-like illnesses and 50 cases were severe enough to admit to to hospital.
Colleges have also seen outbreaks, with one Irish-language college forced to close.
HSE Assistant National Director Health Protection Dr Kevin Kelleher said: "What we are waiting to see, like the rest of the world, is what will happen in the autumn and winter.
"We have clearly seen very large surges of the disease in south America, Australia and New Zealand so we have to wait and see."
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Amazing story of the Quakers and the Irish...
IM IRISH AND LIVE NEAR CORK IN A SMALL SEMI DETATCHED ESTATE OF ABOUT 10 HOUSES. OUT OF THE 8 HOUSES THERE ARE ME ONE OTHER IRISH COUPLE , THE REST ARThe most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
Top of the list must be the ever annoying Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad.....'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain its popularity (VIDEO)
Oh no! It was an English guy. How inconvenient!Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
WoundedKnee, the bare foot boy from Georgia. Reared up to know that he is superior to all of Them people, by virtue of pigmentation. Who attacks the I