Ireland faces massive clean-up bill for worst flooding in living memory
Cork towns cut off by flooding - Bandon looks like mini-Venice
- News / 800-year flood drowns Irish villages and cities / Click here
- April Drew / Rain, rain go away: Ireland's weather threatens to ruin bride's dream wedding / Click here
- News / Ireland bracing for worst flooding in years / Click here
When it rains it pours for the Irish.
The country is facing a multi-million euro clean-up bill after some of the worst flooding in living memory.
Bandon, Clonakilty, Skibbereen and Dunmanway in County Cork took the worst of the flooding and were all virtually cut off by the floods.
Motorists have been urged to avoid unnecessary travel as the weather service says more rain is on the way.
The Irish Army was called out to deal with the rising floodwaters in the south and west of the country with soldiers despatched to Bantry and Clonakilty in County Cork, Ballinasloe in County Galway, Ennis in County Clare and Clonmel in Co Tipperary.
More soldiers are on standby throughout the country as more rain is expected through Friday.
The Air Corps helicopters are also on standby but the bad weather means they could be grounded.
Rivers in Cork and Tipperary burst their banks flooding the quays in both places. The main approach road to Bandon in County Cork was cut off by a landlslide and the town looked like a mini-Venice as two rivers broke their banks and flooded the town's main street with up to five feet of water.
Rail services were cut off between Galway and Athlone, Limerick and Ennis, Carrick-on-Shannon and Longford, Dublin and Maynooth and Wicklow and Gorey.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
jetsnoone!! justice and freedom for all. As I said before most people are not Christian and you wish to change their tenets by another crusade. You'reBaby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital as father calls for inquest
As a nurse, I'm agreeing w/padraiginrua. There is more to this story than is being told. Head do not come away from bodies unless there are extraordinGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
It's just that pesky Constitution(that the obama and his acolytes want to change) that stands in the way. You know, that Freedom of Religion thing thaSarah Palin is saving Christmas
Why has The Daily Show not recruited you, Cahir? You'd be brilliant!