Former Irish Prime Minister Garret Fitzgerald gravely ill
The 85-year-old Fitzgerald was taken to the Dublin city centre hospital earlier this week after falling ill and is currently on a ventilator.
He is surrounded by his family as doctors treat the man who was twice Irish Prime Minister in the 1980s.
“I’m aware that he is in hospital and on a ventilator and I know that his family has been called to his side,” said Kenny in New York.
“I say a prayer for his health and well-being. I hope that he makes it through. He’s an Irish institution that we don’t deserve to lose at this stage.”
Dr Fitzgerald maintained a high public profile after his final term in office as leader of the Fine Gael-Labor coalition in 1987.
John Bruton, another former Prime Minister, also wished him well.
“I think everybody who knows him is praying that he will make a recovery. He’s a tremendous asset to the country,” said Bruton.
A spokeswoman for Dr FitzGerald confirmed that he was being treated in hospital and said that medical staff were carrying out tests to diagnose the cause of the illness.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
Mr. Conboy attacks the Pope's recent statement by setting up a straw man. He attacks totalitarian socialism or communism as if the Pope was advocatingIrish drugs mule to escape full trial and benefit from early release in Peru
Better brush up on their Spanish. It's going to a long haul for these two idiots.An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
Curitiba - Where do you think States get their money? From the citizenry and capitalist enterprise.Families as well as Catholic Church and government to blame for illegal adoptions
My greatest wish is to find my brother who was illegally adopted. I know this is a longshot. You were born to Mary Carey on 16th Sept 1944 at Bessboro