Irish aid agency Concern launches major appeal for Haiti quake victims
Still trying to make contact with staff in quake-hit areas
- News / Denis O'Brien pledges $5m to Haiti / Click here
- Amy Andrews / Olivia Wilde in Twitter video appeal / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd / The Irish connections to Haiti / Click here
The Irish American aid agency Concern USA has launched a major appeal for donations for Haiti while also trying to make contact with their own staff in the quake-hit country.
Susan Finucane, who lived in Haiti for two years, says Concern has 120 staff in Haiti at the moment, six of whom are ex-pats.
"Most have been accounted for and they are ok, but we are worried about some who have not made contact, due to the lack of communication," she said from Concern's New York headquarters.
Finucane said most staff would have been out of the office, which closes at 3.30pm local time, when the earthquake hit at 5pm.
"Phone lines are down, internet access is sporadic, and the Haitians don't know much themselves, apart from what's going on in their nearby area. So we are only getting snippets of information," she said.
Concern is appealing for $7.5M in funding, and Finucane says that it is virtually impossible to gauge the extent of the damage.
"Our projects are obviously at a complete standstill. They are mostly in rural areas, and the housing structures are weak, like concrete shacks on hillsides.
"So if you see the damage done to the Presidential Palace, it doesn't bode well for the areas we work in."
Finucane will leave for Haiti with another member of the Emergency Response Team in the next two days.
The focus, she says, will be on providing water, shelter, food emergency kits, and plastic sheets to the local people.
Her first priority however, is to ensure all Concern staff are safe and well.
The Department of Foreign Affairs says it has now made contact with every Irish person they were aware of being in Haiti.
A total of 17 Irish citizens, made up of Digicel workers, aid workers, missionaries and tourists, are said to have contacted their families.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Amazing story of the Quakers and the Irish...
Let a jew do the talking, go read Goliath, life and loathing in greater Israel by MAX BLUMENTHAL, This saids it all ! Racist state for racist people.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
I could do very well with never hearing Christmas Shoes or Christmas Eve in Washington and anything Mariah Carey screechs tru.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
Agree with Madonna's Santa Baby, Awful. Loved the Eartha Kitt versionIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
Chuck "I will reserve my hatred for those who attempt to harm me or my country." USS Liberty and Cole anyone? Levon Affair? Right wing Is