9/11 10th Anniversary – New study shows Word Trade Center exposure led to increase in cancer
Firefighters who worked on Ground Zero 19 percent more likely to develop cancer
The emergency workers such as firefighters, police, soldiers and volunteers are among the 60,270 people who were at risk of inhaling poisonous dust and fumes ten years ago on September 11.
This week a study by the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY) was published in the Lancey Medical Journal.
FDNY researcher Dr David Prezant said “This study clearly shows World Trade Center exposure in these firefighters led to an increase in cancer.”
It has been revealed that 18,462 people, in the last year, were treated for being exposed to cancer-causing compounds at Ground Zero. These carcinogens included 50,000 pulverized computers and mercury from countless light bulbs.
Doctors who have been studying the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks believe that the survivors could be facing a lifetime of health issue.
The 9/11 Federal Health Director, Dr John Howard has said that he accepts some people could have died from 9/11 related illnesses however he has not yet shifted from the position outlined in July. This July report concluded that there was not enough evidence to link cancer to the 9/11 attacks.
Speaking to BBC’s News Night he said, “I think undoubtedly there are people who have succumbed in the interval between now and September 11.
“I think it is plausible that many people will die of the many conditions we’ve seen due to their exposure.”
Sadly without this official link between cancer and the 9/11 attacks under the James Zadroga 9/11 Health Compensations Act the rescue workers cannot receive payments.
This law is named for James Zadroga, the first man to die from health problems related to the World Trade Attacks. At the age of 35, in January 2006, he died from a rare lung disease. The detective in the New York Police Department (NYPD) had spent 450 hours working at Ground Zero.
Dr. Laura Crowley, assistant professor of preventive medicine at Mount Sinai Medical School told New York Daily News some weeks ago that World Trade Center survivors are still coming in with symptoms.
She said “New patients are still coming in, people who say they went to the doctor and have been ignoring symptoms for a long time…It's important to figure out if it's related to World Trade Center exposure and will develop into something in the future."
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...