The yacht was boarded for what they thought would be a routine stop

Immigration arrest at sea of undocumented Irishman


The yacht was boarded for what they thought would be a routine stop

A July 4th holiday celebration was transformed into a distressing chain of events after federal officials boarded a yacht on Long Island and began checking papers.

Irish man David Quinn, a horse and carriage driver in Central Park, was enjoying the July 4th celebrations with his girlfriend Gaea Rich and her family abroad a yacht in Long Island Sound. 

The yacht is owned by Ms Rich’s uncle and is registered in the Carribbean nation of St.Vincent and the Grenadines. The foreign flag attracted the attention of federal officials. 

Immigration officials are permitted to board foreign flagged vessels anytime.  It is common for yacht owners to register their boats in foreign countries for tax purposes.

What began as a routine stop by law enforcement officials ended in two passengers identified as undocumented been taken away on a police boat by federal immigration officials. David Quinn and a Guatemalan man who had been hired for the day for catering purposes were both detained.

The incident began at about 1.30pm on July 4th when a boat operated by the Nassau County Police Department pulled alongside the yacht close to Oyster Bay. After inspecting the owners cruising license, officials asked all members to produce government issued identification.  When Quinn and the catering worker failed to produce ID they were taken below deck and interrogated. The officers soon established the two were undocumented.

Charles Rowe, a spokesperson for the Coast Guard  told the New York times  that maritime laws and their enforcement have tightened since 9/11. In the past several years, for example, the Coast Guard division on Staten Island — which patrols New York Harbor, the western half of Long Island Sound and the southern Hudson River — has stepped up its scrutiny of smaller foreign-flagged vessels.

Quinn now faces deportation in the coming months. He told the New York Times that he was hopeful he could find a way to stay in the United States. Quinn was held in the detention center in Elizabeth New Jersey before being released last Thursday after the intervention of father Brian Jordan, a Manhattan-based Franciscan priest who specializes in helping immigrants.


Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:

Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.

Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: