Soledad O'Brien: A woman of many backgrounds
'I'm a light-skinned black girl with fuzzy hair who’s got freckles'
“It’s a very different feel to when Anderson Cooper and I were doing the Michael Jackson memorial. There’s a very different sense. We’ll be watching it like other viewers and all my friends will be watching too.”
For the new documentary O’Brien has criss-crossed the U.S., including reports from Ghana and South Africa, as she uncovers the people and programs at the forefront of change in the African American community.
“There’s a spectrum, a continuum of different stories out there to tell about people who go on to become president of the U.S. and people who are trying to overcome poverty and discrimination and then there’s a whole range in between,” she says.
“Those are all a part of what it means to be black in America. I want to highlight the young leaders who are making a difference.”
As for her famous colleague on CNN, Anderson Cooper, O’Brien’s admiration is heartfelt.
“I love him. We worked together on the election and the inauguration and he’s just exactly as he is on TV. A great guy, very funny and self-deprecating,” she says.
“Someone was auctioning off lunch with Anderson so I bought it! I had to pay money to have lunch with that man. I’m a busy person, but he’s insane.”
A final word on Black in America 2 from O’Brien: “I think there are so many stories of the African American experience -- and tonight’s will be just a tiny sliver. But these are communities I feel very connected to and these are people I love.”
Black in America 2: Tomorrow's Leaders will air on Wednesday, July 22 at 9 p.m., and Thursday, July 23 at 8 p.m. A countdown show will air live on Wednesday from 7-8 p.m.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas