Irish ‘Merlin’ actor Colin Morgan in the running to replace Matt Smith as 'Doctor Who'
Radio Times views pick Co. Armagh actor over Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston or event Rupert Grint
A BBC Radio Times readers poll has revealed that County Armagh actor Colin Morgan as the views top pick to replace Matt Smith as “Doctor Who”.
The Irishman best known for his role in the recently cancelled BBC series “Merlin” beat some huge names to win the poll. Among those was “Sherlock” and “Star Trek” intense actor Benedict Cumberbatch, “Thor” villain Tom Hiddleston, and BAFTA winning Ben Whishaw, star of “The Hours”.
The BBC are searching for replacement for Matt Smith who has played the Doctor for the past four years. Smith (26) was the youngest actor to play the Doctor in the show’s 50 year history. Morgan who’s 27-years-old could follow in his footsteps.
However a recent Radio Times interview seems to put a spanner in the works for the BBC viewers. Morgan actually starred in “Doctor Who” alongside the tenth Doctor, David Tennent. He played Jethro in the episode “Midnight”
When asked if he had plans to return to Doctor Who this was his reponse:
“Well, that box has already been ticked, but I feel very lucky to have been part of that. It was my first filming job really, so it was a great thing to be a part of, but in terms of the future? Probably not.”
Regardless of who fills Smiths silly big shoes Jenna Louise Coleman, who plays Clara Oswin Oswald “the impossible girl” will remain on with “Doctor Who”.
Here’s a breakdown of the poll results:
Colin Morgan - 23.4%
Benedict Cumberbatch - 16.19%
Tom Hiddleston - 9.56%
Ben Whishaw - 9.54%
Rupert Grint - 9%
Damien Molony - 3.71%
Stephen Mangan - 3.37%
Idris Elba - 2.83%
Chiwetel Ejiofor - 2.09%
Russell Tovey - 2.07%
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...