Cooper’s Beach, Southhampton, Long Island has been voted the best beach of 2010. Not only is it a great beach but it is also located close to only of the best Irish pub’s on Long Island, Buckley’s.
“Dr. Beach”, Stephen P. Leatherman, has a been evaluating beaches around the country for 20 years and this year Cooper’s Beach has come out at the top of the list. The “Doctor” uses 50 criteria, such as water temperature, sand softness, number of waves, smells and presence of jellyfish, to come up with his rankings.
The only down side to Cooper’s Beach is that you have to pay $40 to park your car. Of course this won’t apply to you is you’ve come from Buckley’s Inn Between close by on your bike. Buckley’s owners Mr. Cantwell and Mr. Shortall said “We have the best pint of Guinness draft on the East End.”
Surprisingly, giving the massive oil spill nearby, Sarasota's Siesta Beach was named number two. This beach is located just miles from the spill which is tainting the water and reefs.
Here’s a full list of the top beaches for 2010-
1. Coopers Beach - Southampton, New York
2. Siesta Beach - Sarasota, Florida
3. Coronado Beach - San Diego, California
4. Cape Hatteras - Outer Banks of North Carolina
5. Main Beach - East Hampton, New York
6. Kahanamoku Beach - Waikiki, Honolulu
7. Coast Guard Beach - Cape Cod, Massachusetts
8. Beachwalker Park - Kiawah Island, South Carolina
9. Hamoa Beach - Maui, Hawaii
10. Cape Florida State Park - Key Biscayne, Florida