1. Maureen O’Hara - She starred in “The Quiet Man”, the Irish movie that has captured the hearts of millions of Irish Americans and will continue to do so for ever.
2. Waterford Crystal - For generations the embodiment of the best that Ireland could offer and produce. Still number one on most Irish Americans' gift list.
3. Michael Flatley - The embodiment of the Irish American influence on Ireland, he liberated Irish dance along with the “Riverdance” producers and later struck out on his own.
4. “Danny Boy” - Love it or hate it, it has become the needed adjunct to many Irish gatherings, combining sentimentality and sadness at our historic plight.
5. Maeve Binchy - Her books were the “Fifty Shades of Grey” of their day and still are massively popular with Irish American women and “chick-lit” seekers.
6. Bono - The quintessential rock star has retained his massive appeal but has always underscored his Irishness to American audiences.
7. Guinness - The black brew embodies Ireland for millions of Irish Americans and is associated with good cheer and a fine time.
8. Jameson - Coming up fast, the Irish whiskey has bewitched Lady Gaga and millions of other Americans as it takes off.
9. “Ryan’s Daughter” – This movie is nowhere as popular as “The Quiet Man” but it absorbed millions of Americans who saw it and encouraged them to visit Ireland.
10. Brown bread/soda bread - The humble Irish staples have continued to grab the loving attention of millions of Irish in America who want a taste of the old sod - literally.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: