Here is a guide to some of the best Irish slang, certain to confuse and guaranteed to amuse!
Go on ya good thing! Why not drop one of these phrases into your next conversation to demonstrate your depth of knowledge of Irish lingo.
I'm as sick as a small hospital.
- I am feeling rather ill today.
He would get up on a cracked plate.
- That gentleman has very low standards in female company.
She's so ugly the tide wouldn’t take her out.
- The lady is aesthetically challenged.
He is an awful long string of misery.
- That man is rather tall and skinny.
He was as useful as a cigarette lighter on a motorbike.
- That gentleman is particularly useless.
You couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
- You have a terrible aim.
He was as tight as a ducks arse.
- He was very cheap with his money.
You could talk for Ireland.
- That person is very loquacious.
Grand soft day.
- The weather is dreadful today.
Sound as a pound!
- Sounds like a good plan.
We're sucking diesel now.
- Things are going well.
Do you fancy a few scoops?
- Would you be interested in an alcoholic beverage?
That lad is an awful chancer.
- He will try anything.
Christ on a bike.
- I don’t believe what’s before my eyes.
You'll have a cup in your hand.
- Would you like a cup of tea?
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: