Did you know that over half of Irish parents think their kids are smarter than the average child? How about the fact that one in five Irish people have packed sausages in their luggage before going on holidays?
As part of their new campaign celebrating 75 years in business, Irish Life, Ireland’s biggest life insurance and pension company, surveyed and collected 75 humorous and insightful facts about people in Ireland, sure to strike a chord with each generation.
Here are 20 of the 75 facts they collected – see if any of them apply to you:
1. More than one in five Irish people (21%) have packed sausages in their luggage when going on holidays.
2. 94% of Irish people have thanked the bus driver.
3. Just 5% had their first kiss in the Gaeltacht.
4. 40% of Irish people look at someone’s social media before they go on a date.
5. 34% hide people’s news feeds when they post too many pictures of their pets/babies.
6. 24% of Irish people have tried online dating.
7. Just one in five Irish people are friends with their Mammy on Facebook.
8. Over half (54%) make tea if there’s a crisis.
9. 80% of Irish people have eaten a crisp sandwich.
10. Over half (55%) can pull a pint.
11. Over one in ten (13%) Irish people have an embarrassing middle name.
12. Over half (54%) of Irish parents think the kids in their family are smarter than the average child.
13. 29% of Irish people have been to Copper Face Jacks (AKA Coppers) in Dublin.
14. 40% of Irish people have a tin whistle in the house.
15. Just 39% of Irish people say they have had ‘the fear’.
16. Almost one in five (18%) Irish people feel like they know Anne Doyle.
17. 40% of Irish people have clapped when a plane has landed.
18. 73% of Irish people have asked a taxi driver ‘is it busy tonight’.
19. More than one in four (26%) Irish people still have their first teddy bear.
20. One in five Irish people (20%) will never wear the color of their school uniform again.
Irish Life’s research also revealed that the current “mood” of the nation, with regard to living in Ireland, is quite mixed: 15% say they are anxious, 6% are angry and 12% are pessimistic – but nearly one in five (17%) say they are optimistic about it.
How many of these fun facts apply to you?
*Originally published October 2014.