Everything you need to know about the Irish surname Doherty (O'Doherty) - its meaning, origins, interesting facts and famous people with the last name Doherty.
Irish derivation: Dochartach.
Name meaning: Destroyer.
Coat of arms motto: "Ar nDutcas" or Our Heritage
- The family descends from the son of Niall of the Nine Hostages
- Ranks 15th on the List of 100 most popular Irish Surnames.
- There are 140 variations in spelling of the name.
Some famous Dohertys:
- Gary Michael Thomas Doherty (1980-, Irish footballer)
- Ken Doherty (1969-, professional snooker player)
- Moya Doherty (1957-, Riverdance co-founder)
- Shannen Maria Doherty (1971-, American actress, producer, author, and television director)
- David O'Doherty (1975-, comedian)
- Brian O'Doherty (1928-, art critic)
* Originally published in 2016.