Top ten little-known facts about Ireland ahead of the Gathering 2013
Wacky, ridiculous and surprising things you never knew about Ireland
1.Ireland is the only country in the world which has a musical instrument – the harp – as their national symbol. The oldest known harp in existence is housed in Trinity College, Dublin. It dates back from at least 1300.
2. Ireland is the third largest island in Europe and the twentieth largest in the world.
3. Up until 1973, many women employed in the public service faced mandatory retirement once they got married.
6. The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia, in County Galway.
8. Shannon became the world’s first duty-free airport in 1947, and we’ve been buying tax-free liquor and perfume ever since.
9. One of the most popular radio shows in rural Ireland is still the daily broadcast of local obituaries.