Top ten historical sites to visit in Ireland - SEE PHOTOS
4. Ceide Fields, County Mayo
The Ceide Fields are a Neolithic landscape which date back to 5000 B.C. They are the oldest known field systems in the world. Their name "Ceide Fields" literally means "fields of the flat-topped hill".
The field system was discovered under some bog. The rocks delineating the field system was originally discovered by a school teacher cutting for turf in the bog in the 1930s. It took over 40 years to unravel the true significance of the fields. Fields, houses and tombs had been concealed under the bog for thousands of years.
5. Clonmacnoise, County Offaly
Clonmacnoise is one of Ireland's most important monasteries and is located on the banks of the River Shannon. It was founded in 545 by Ciaran of Clonmacnoise. Until the 9th century it had very strong ties with the Kings of Connacht.
Its strategic location also helped it to be become a center of religion, learning, craftsmanship and trade. Together with Clonard it is one of the most famous in Ireland and continues to be visited by scholars from all over Europe.
6. Jerpoint Abbey, County Kilkenny
Jerpoint Abbey is a well-known Cistercian abbey founded in the 12th century. It's most famous asset is its sculptured cloister arcade with unique carvings.
Six miles northwest of County Cork, Blarney Castle and the Blarney stone date back to 1446. The castle is a medieval stronghold on the River Martin. Although earlier fortifications were built on the same spot what is left standing today dates back to the MacCarthy dynasty, King of Desmond.
The castle and the stone are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ireland. Legend has it that if you kiss the Blarney stone you will have the "gift of the gab" meaning clever, flattering or coaxing talk".
8. Kilkenny Castle, Killkenny City
Killkenny Castle is certainly one of Ireland's most impressive fortresses. The castle dates back to 1191 and stands with three tall towers.
Although some of the stone has been replaced the original was built by William Marshal, the 1st Earl of Pembroke to control the crossing point on the River Nore.
The castle is now run by the Office of Public Works and sits in the midst of beautiful parkland.