Highly anticipated finals of the Irish National Wheelchair Basketball Cup in South Dublin for The Gathering
- The Gathering Dublin concludes with Ireland defeating Wales in basketball
- Gathering trophies for Olympic handball stay in Ireland
- Canada's Greendale Falcon's win at American Football blitz in Dublin
- American Football blitz comes to Ireland for The Gathering Bowl 2013
- Get ready for the World Martial Arts Games in South Dublin (VIDEO)
|Representatives from IWA and National Basketball Arena at the launch of the tournament.
This summer will see the Irish Wheelchair Association (IWA) Sport strengthen their growing relationship with Basketball Ireland and begin a new one with the Gathering Dublin as all three bodies prepare for the National Wheelchair Basketball Cup.
The highly anticipated tournament will take place this weekend in the National Basketball Arena on Saturday, 22nd June 2013.
The event will mark the culmination of a competitive season as players from across the country will come together for an exciting weekend of elite wheelchair basketball.
Speaking about the event, the IWA’s Sports Development Officer, Mark Barry, said, ““This tournament is a great opportunity for the wheelchair basketball clubs in Ireland to showcase their talent and skill in the home of Irish basketball in Tallaght.”
As wheelchair basketball continues to grow in Ireland, IWA Sport is delighted to announce that six teams will participate at this tournament. They include; Killester WBC (Wheelchair Basketball Club), Dundalk Ravens WBC, Fr. Matthews WBC from Cork, Clonaslee WBC from Co. Laois, Galway Titans WBC and Carlow/Kilkenny Swifts WBC.
“IWA-Sport, Basketball Ireland and our six competing teams have invested a lot over the past number of years with their respective development programmes.”
“We are now beginning to see the result of this hard work as many new up and coming players are breaking through from senior and junior development up to their respective senior squads” said Barry.
On the day, the Paddy Byrne Cup will be contested by the two teams that finish top of the league. The third through to sixth placed teams at the end of the league season will compete for the Martin Greene/Tom Walsh Cup and Gerard Larkin Cup respectively.
Date: Saturday 22nd June 2013
Venue: National Basketball Arena.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or www.basketballireland.ie.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...