The Gathering Dublin by Damon Blake
American Football comes to South Dublin throughout 2013
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 at 12:49 PM
- The Gathering Dublin concludes with Ireland defeating Wales in basketball
- Gathering trophies for Olympic handball stay in Ireland
- Canada's Greendale Falcon's win at American Football blitz in Dublin
- American Football blitz comes to Ireland for The Gathering Bowl 2013
- Get ready for the World Martial Arts Games in South Dublin (VIDEO)
|Photo courtesy of americanfootball.ie.|
I grit my teeth as I pull the strap of the helmet tight underneath my chin. I’ve got my boots on and the laces knotted while my shoulder pads are strapped on nice and secure. All I need now is to put on my jersey and I’ll be ready to watch the Superbowl.
Look, I know you probably know who won, but I don’t. This is the first chance I’ve had to sit down and watch it and I’ve successfully avoided hearing anything about it until now. I know Beyoncé sings and there was a cool trailer for the new Star Trek movie but apart from that I know nothing.
It’s pretty exciting, it’s almost like watching it live. I don’t even know which teams are playing.
I haven’t ever really been into American Football, it was never on TV where I was growing up and no teams near me played it. But this year with The Gathering Dublin I’ve had to learn all about it. You see, there’s a few tournaments running in
South Dublin, so I’ve been preparing for them by learning everything I can about American Football! All the games are happening in Tallaght Stadium and are being run by the Irish American Football Association.
There’s the Atlantic Cup which is happening on the 29th & 30thof June. Then, on the 20th of July the Shamrock Bowl (which includes some Irish college teams) comes to Tallaght Stadium. Last but not least, on the first of September there’ll be a college match with some American teams happening on the grounds that came first in the Airtricity League Pitch of the Year in 2012.
So I have a lot to prepare for if I want to be up to speed by the time the games begin. First things first, it’s Superbowl time! Oh, I got an email from my mother, I’ll just check that and then watch the game.
What’s it say? “Go Ravens?” What does that even mean?
Wait, aren’t Ravens one of the teams playing in the Superbowl?
Does that mean...?
For more information on the games occurring in
|Minister Michael Ring TD, signs and IAFA football with players from Irish teams|
at the launch of The Gathering Dublin.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...