The Score by Declan O'Kelly
Padraig Harrington finishes in a tie for third at WGC-CA Championship
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 08:36 PM
- Andy Lee KO’s James Cook in round five in Oklahoma
- John Duddy ready for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. challenge
- Giovanni Trapattoni spurns Inter Milan interest to stay with Ireland
- Irish boxer Andy Lee wins in Limerick after Thiam retires with back injury after two rounds
- Rory McIlroy has Tiger Woods in his Ryder Cup sights
Padraig Harrington shot a final round 72 to end the WGC-CA Championship 11 under par in a tie for third place, seven strokes behind winner Ernie Els, who carded a 66 to finish 18 under par, four strokes in front of compatriot Charl Schwartzel.
It was Els' first win wince the 2008 Honda Classic and the big South African was a delighted winner.
Harrington had a tough time off the tee but managed to keep his round going and was 13 under par and within touch of the leaders after 12 holes. However, three consecutive bogeys ended his challenge.
Harrington finished the last three holes birdie/par/par for a tournament total of 277, sharing third spot with Matt Kuchar and Martin Kaymar.
Graeme McDowell enjoyed a fine round on Sunday, catapulting up the leaderboard with a six under par 66 for a share of sixth place.
McDowell rattled five consecutive birdies off from holes 8 through 12, but the streak ended there and the Portrush native ended the tournament on ten under par.
Rory McIlroy shot his third consecutive round of 73 to end the tournament with a seven over par total of 295.