The Score by Declan O'Kelly
John Duddy to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on June 26 in San Antonio?
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 12:04 PM
- Andy Lee KO’s James Cook in round five in Oklahoma
- John Duddy ready for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. challenge
- Giovanni Trapattoni spurns Inter Milan interest to stay with Ireland
- Irish boxer Andy Lee wins in Limerick after Thiam retires with back injury after two rounds
- Rory McIlroy has Tiger Woods in his Ryder Cup sights
According to boxrec.com John Duddy (29-1) will fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (41-0-1) on the undercard of the Eric Morel-Jorge Arce WBO bantamweight title bout in San Antonio, Texas on June 26.
It was thought that Duddy would fight on the undercard of Yuri Foreman/Miguel Cotto fight at June 5 at Yankee Stadium, but a deal seems to have been made for the long talked about clash between the Derry native and the Mexican fighter.
Chavez is currently suspended for testing positive for a diuretic after his last fight against Troy Rowland in Vegas in November.
The suspension ends in mid June and it was thought the 24-year-old would take a tune up fight before taking on the Irishman.
However, it would seem that the two will now face off in Texas on June 26, with the winner likely to put himself into title contention.