The Score by Declan O'Kelly
Andy Lee KO’s James Cook in round five in Oklahoma
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 03:41 PM
- Andy Lee KO’s James Cook in round five in Oklahoma
- John Duddy ready for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. challenge
- Giovanni Trapattoni spurns Inter Milan interest to stay with Ireland
- Irish boxer Andy Lee wins in Limerick after Thiam retires with back injury after two rounds
- Rory McIlroy has Tiger Woods in his Ryder Cup sights
Middleweight Andy Lee (22-1, 16kos) knocked out James Cook (11-4-1, 8kos) in the fifth round of their fight at the Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Oklahoma on Friday night.
The 26-year-old Irishman had a comfortable evening against his completely outclassed opponent.
It was Lee’s bodywork that did the damage and a hard left hook to the body in the fifth round brought a premature end to proceedings.
Lee was the non-televised undercard of ESPN2’s Friday night Fights series, but the network did show brief highlights of the bout during the broadcast.
Lee is set to join trainer/manager Steward and Wladimir Klitschko at the heavyweight champion’s training camp in Austria, though there is an outside chance he will remain stateside if a possible fight in Chicago goes ahead.