New England Patriots re-sign free agent Sebastian Vollmer
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
- New York Knicks and Boston Celtics Swap Standards for Second Playoff Series in Three Seasons
- New England Patriots NFL Draft: DeAndre Hopkins Scouting Report
- New England Patriots Draft: Justin Hunter Scouting Report
- New England Patriots Draft: Desmond Trufant Scouting Report
- Boston Celtics: Playoff Formula Mixes Flexible Roster With Veteran Leadership
|New England Patriots' Sebastian Vollmer|
As first reported by Field Yates of ESPN Boston, the New England Patriots and Sebastian Vollmer have agreed to a new contract. Vollmer, along with Andre Smith, had been one of the last two remaining elite free agent offensive tackles.
While terms of the contract remain unclear, other reports have suggested that the contract is for four years.
The 28-year-old has been the Patriots' starting right tackle for the past three seasons, despite missing 11 games through injury during that time. He has endured chronic back issues as well as various other ailments to consistently play to an established elite reputation.
With Vollmer re-signed, it now becomes clear that recent free agent signing Will Svitek will become the team's primary backup on the edges. It's unclear whether he will play some right tackle in Vollmer's place, or if he will slot into his more natural position of left tackle with Nate Solder moving to right tackle. Marcus Cannon remains another option behind Vollmer at right tackle.
Re-signing Vollmer also shapes the Patriots' draft plans. No longer will they be in play for an offensive lineman, as they appear to be set at every position in terms of starters and depth. Solder and Vollmer should start outside, with Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly establishing an interior trio. Marcus Cannon could slide into a guard position, while Nick McDonald and Markus Zusevics are also on the roster. See more: Irish in NFL , Irish Sports , Irish in American Football
Be the first to make a comment.
- Dublin man jailed for six years for vicious...
- Bobby Sands banner results in big fine for...
- Claims that Irish lobby is racist to seek...
- The Irish foods immigrants crave at Christmas...
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- Megyn Kelly and Bill O’Reilly’s white Christmas
- Gerry Adams applauded as he joins ANC Guard...
- Spectacular video gives a flying visit over...
- The pro and cons of marrying an Irishman
- Dissident Republicans cause havoc in Belfast...