Shaun Ellis is a great addition to the New England Patriots
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 at 06:01 PM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
I was somewhat concerned by the state of the New England Patriots defensive line after the team released both Marcus Stroud and Ty Warren last week. With Albert Haynesworth still on the sidelines—and my skepticism in general—the Patriots looked to be entering the season with the same line from last year, which wasn't up to the required standard.
Ellis' addition is a masterstroke from Bill Belichick as not only is he adding a fantastic end against both the run and the pass, he was also the Jets best lineman last year. He may be at the tail end of his career but has shown no signs of slacking in recent years.
The Jets could not re-sign Ellis because of cap issues as well as the drafting of some rookies on the line. Their loss will not only hurt the Jets, it gives the Patriots exactly what they need.
While Albert Haynesworth has a reputation for being a dominant pass rusher that was as a 4-3 lineman, Ellis is one of the best 3-4 pass rushers in the whole league. He is a proven player in a system that the Patriots favor play to perfection.
Ellis is not a massively celebrated player but he fits the system better and is closer to a typical Belichick signing rather than any other of his signings this offseason.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- Tea party favorite Steve King blames Ronald...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...