Paul Pierce chose the perfect season to surpass Larry Bird
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 at 05:30 AM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
During a season when many, including myself, had already written the Celtics off as old, slow and in trouble, Pierce has made the difference on the court for Doc Rivers' side.
With Pierce in the side, the Celtics are 14-7 on the year including the five game winning streak that they are currently enjoying. Without Pierce, the team started 0-3. It may have only been three games, but the contrast in the team without Pierce opposed to with him is startling.
Passing Bird on the all-time scoring list was fitting because Pierce's scoring has been so vital to the Celtics' season. Without him the team lacks an edge. Pierce is the only player capable of getting his own shot on a consistent basis.
Unlike Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett, he can be the focal point that the offense runs through or put points on the board in isolation situations. His 18.4 points per game leads the team and also includes a shooting percentage of over 40 from behind the arc.
The Celtics biggest problems on the court this year have been on offense.
Defensively, Kevin Garnett can still lead the group while Rajon Rondo and Jermaine O'Neal are having excellent seasons at that end of the court. If Pierce can continue to be the spark for the team on offense, there will be no need for the Celtics to blow up the roster as I previously said that they should.
Surpassing Larry Bird may be a huge part of Paul Pierce's legacy once his career has finished, but his scoring this year is extending his play on the court so much so that he can forget about his legacy and possibly look to reignite a previously quenched title challenge in Boston.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...