Ireland team to face Uruguay tonight
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
After a more than impressive showing against Macedonia at the weekend Kieran Westwood retains his place in the Irish starting eleven for tonights friendly against Uruguay.
His hopes of having a quieter evening were increased when Luis Suarez decided to pull out of the game to rest a minor injury. Still the Uruguayans should bring a strong team to Dublin that will test the inexperienced Irish side.
Stephen Kelly replaces Robbie Keane as captain tonight in what will be his first ever outing wearing the armband for his country. Kelly is a solid right back who is likely to line up at left back to accommodate Kevin Foley who retains his place from the weekend.
Darren O'Dea is another defender who has stayed in the side, while Ciaran Clark comes in to replace his club teammate Richard Dunne. Clark is a versatile player who could play at left back tonight also should Trapattoni look to keep the experienced Kelly in the center.
It appears as if the manager has decided to change from the usual 4-4-2 formation and employ a five man midfield but this may not be definite as Andrew Keogh can play upfront while Keith Fahey or Liam Lawrence are capable of shifting to the left.
Shane Long leads the line after an energetic display at the weekend.
The full Ireland team to face Uruguay:
Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, Keogh; McCarthy, Long.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...