Anthony Stokes breaks Hearts as Celtic's run goes on
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 01:59 PM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
Celtic won their third consecutive SPL game on Wednesday night with a convincing victory at home to Hearts.
Hearts have been flying high of late lying third in the table after a 1-0 victory against Rangers last week. Hearts did Celtic a favor in that game and did the same on Wednesday after a terrible start to the game.
Only 7 minutes had passed when young Celtic striker James Forrest's superb shot from the edge of the area beat Mariano Kello in the Hearts goal. Hearts didn't put up much resistance as they never truly tested a Celtic defense that featured only one recognized centre half. Charlie Mulgrew, a left back, filled in alongside Thomas Rogne and was never put under any real pressure.
It took until the second half for Celtic to puncture the Hearts' defense again when Anthony Stokes curled home a delightful freekick on 52 minutes. A game that was heated throughout reached boiling point when a midfield melee broke out between four players bringing the yellow card count to 7.
However Stokes soon iced the fire of the Hearts' players and the game. Stokes scored his second from a Joe Ledley through ball after his strike partner, Gary Hooper, had stumbled.
The game was well and truly finished as a contest before Paddy McCourt added the fourth in a move involving irishman Stokes that was all too easy for the Hoops.
The 4-0 victory moves Celtic to 55 points and keeps them first in the table. Although Rangers are keeping pace with their old firm rivals. They beat Hibernian 2-0 to move to 50 points with two games in hand.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...